Eye tracking for cursor in rpg

Started by
41 comments, last by alh420 8 years, 5 months ago

for a 24" screen at a normal viewing distance, this doesn't add much

I think it could add quite a bit of wow-factor also on a game like a platformer.

It would make the scene have actual depth in a much more realistic way then you get with just a 3D screen.

Hard to explain properly, this old demo I was involved with shows the effect somewhat:

Not as good as it could be though smile.png

I think it would also work pretty nicely in a 3rd person game.

Not adding much gameplay, just more immersion, and something you could add if eye tracking and head tracking was common...

Ah, now I understand what you are on about. 3D without the glasses, like in the Firephone, right? now THAT is actually cool, even though still just a part to the full 3D expierience (no real 3D effect, same image to both eyes). But it is more headtracking than eye tracking if my memory serves me right.

Still, question is if it adds enough given its price for hardware and software integration, especially in a time and age where you can have the full expierience by going VR (or at least you could if the VR Goggles would already be here, a PC to drive them would be affordable and the software would be written... so if today would be some day in about 3-4 years smile.png ).

Advertisement

Ah, now I understand what you are on about. 3D without the glasses, like in the Firephone, right? now THAT is actually cool, even though still just a part to the full 3D expierience (no real 3D effect, same image to both eyes). But it is more headtracking than eye tracking if my memory serves me right.

Yeah, headtracking is the main part. If you track the eyes, you might get headtracking with it though... I imagine it would be even better if the screen is a 3D screen too.

so if today would be some day in about 3-4 years

well, you got to stay ahead of the curve! smile.png

so if today would be some day in about 3-4 years

well, you got to stay ahead of the curve! smile.png

Then you should save money for the Occulus or the Vive, instead of throwing a good portion of that money out for eye tracking hardware.

That would be like investing in the air tire instead of getting a car with hard rubber wheels. Will the car with air tires coming out 5 years later give you a smoother ride? Yes of course.

You will not do much with that air tire thought that doesn't fit any shoddy old car with hard rubber tires though. And you will not be able to do much with the tire alone... while the car with the crappy rubber tires would at least give you a ride, even if it is a bumpy one tongue.png

Better wait for the full expierience (VR Goggle with eye tracking), or get 90% of the expierience (VR Goggle) instead of the missing 10% alone (eye tracking hardware)

But that is of course just my point of view. No idea how long it will take Microsoft to create Office for the Occulus, as we got into productivity instead of gaming pretty quickly smile.png

Then you should save money for the Occulus or the Vive, instead of throwing a good portion of that money out for eye tracking hardware.

I have an Oculus DK2 at home... and eyetracking and handtracking hardware at the office. :)

Wish I had more time to experiment with it though.

One thing doesn't exclude the other, I'm sure there will be a market for both full VR experiences and better 3D using other kind of hardware like head tracking combined with glasses-less 3D screens, that doesn't require you to put on head gear.

Eventually.

Until then, its fun to dream and experiment :)

I am also a programmer, I understand the pros and cons of eye tracking. I had a solution to overcome the problem of eye tracking. You dont realy rely solely to eye tracking features it must also be well coordinated to a trigger/control for this feature to be on/off, sensitivity etc. The trick is to stablish a starting point precisely, then backing up by a joystick for presice control.

This system has so many application. So pls. Dont misjudge me that I am ignorant of this topic. I am not just tell all my secret.
Thank you guys for all of your comments. I sincerely apreciate it.
3d visualisation using eyetracking is memory expensive and unpractical. Also there are already a screen that uses orticular imaging without the need of using 3d glasses. My main goal in eyetracking is all about gameplay and ai dynamics.
VR is verygood but not practical in the market place.
To gian reto

Eye tracking is very handy in storing quick refference points, precise targeting, in , layering your tactics, dynamic control in afast pace battle scene. Mouse is not enough and very slow to cope in a face pace environment. With this kind of system you can command multiple troups easily. Because eye movement can move swiftly than dragging a mouse.and also its dorky to click with a blink of your eyes. you confirm your command using a joystick.the eyetracker is use to pinpoint the object/your target. Theres so many points to consider but this is only a few to say.
Eye tracking is not enough to stand on its, it must be acompanied by other sensors/controls.
My point is with the use of eyetracking system as an option for mouse cursor you give the player an interface to react quickly in a fast pace scene.
I believe that my idea about eyetracking is innovative,very simple but very dynamic. Because of an eyetracking system you can execute complex techniques and tactics easily, thats the point of this issue.

3d visualisation using eyetracking is memory expensive and unpractical. Also there are already a screen that uses orticular imaging without the need of using 3d glasses.

How is it memory expensive? It takes 0 more memory then displaying the game normally. It would also be close to 0 cpu and gpu overhead. All you do is move the camera and adjust the projection. Also, this isn't about replacing 3d glasses or orticular screens, it is about enhancing them.

VR is verygood but not practical in the market place.

I'd say VR has a lot more developed market then eye tracking... There are several big companies putting a lot of money in making VR a reality right now, and I only know of a few niche companies trying to bring eye tracking to consumer hardware... And they've been at it for a decade. Probably because it is a bit harder to sell, no-one has produced convincing enough demos of its use yet. VR stirs imagination a lot more.

I do believe in eyetracking though, and I'd love for Tobii to actually get their tracking hardware into pads and laptops, like they've promised for many years now...

Keep producing cool demos of actual usecases of it, and maybe we will get there :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement