🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online game design degree

Started by
7 comments, last by HexDump 8 years, 4 months ago

Hi!

I'm a developer that has been creating games for more than 15 years. Now, I feel the need to leave the techy side and get into game design. Mainly because I feel not comfortable when I try to come up with good designs for my own games.

I would like to know if there exist any reputable online degree on game design that could help me build up and improve skills in this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Don't know if this helps: https://projectfun.digipen.edu/online-programs/

But do you really want to get a degree (needed to apply for jobs, but not so much teaching you skills), or do you want to learn the skills needed (a degree might not be the best way, a bunch of online courses coupled with some practical expierience (a project of your own or done with other people) might give you more for less)?

If you already have a degree, another degree is only really helpful if a) you want to switch to a COMPLETLY different line of work, b) if there is no other way to learn the needed skills than doing a degree, or c) if you apply for jobs that have a certain degree as a prerequisite.

If you just want to learn new skills, there are much cheaper and much better ways to do so. A lot of the stuff you will have to learn for a new degree is a) basic skills you might already have if you worked close to the subject, b) basic math, physics or whatever that you already did for your first degree but doesn't properly transfer, or c) flat out not really well structured.

I am watching my Girlfriend doing a CS degree at the moment, and as a longtime Programmer with a CS degree I have to say I really don't know what some of these Professors are smoking. They seemingly have not enough relevant stuff to teach, so they fill their courses with minute details that are hardly the most relevant information to learn... like expecting students that haven't really properly learned programming yet to memorize all the Qt classes and methods.

For her, the degree is important as she wants to be able to apply to technical jobs in the end. If she would just want to learn something, I would have told her to drop out of the degree and try something else a long time ago.

TL;DR: never do a degree to LEARN something... do it for the paper. Don't expect the university/college to teach you something... in 50% of cases you will most probably be dissapointed.

If you just want to learn, find a good course that teaches EXACTLY what you are interested in. By people that are PAID to make you learn... not to do their science thing, but then also need to waste some time with students because university forces them to.

Or look at tutorials online, if you are able to learn on your own. Most questions have already been asked somewhere on the internet.

Hi,

Thanks for bringing your point of view to the table. I agree with some parts of your answer. Perhaps, a degree is not the best thing to learn the meat of what I want.

The main problem, is that I have a day job that eats 8 hours of my "awake time". Then I have some other duties like my child, etc... So, I don't have time to waste trying to look around for the information I need , sort it in a sensible way and then learn it. The main problem with the information on the internet is that it is scattered around, there is not a defined path to learn about something. You have to look for the information, process it , get rid of the one that is not what you are looking for, etc.

What I am really seeking is material that will keep me focused on the subject to learn with some kind of exercises, etc... to prove I'm understanding and correctly applying the concepts, etc. I think this is something really difficult to get if you do not apply for a university degree or something like that.

Anyway, I could be wrong so, I'm opened to any suggestion.

Cheers.

What I am really seeking is material that will keep me focused on the subject to learn with some kind of exercises, etc... to prove I'm understanding and correctly applying the concepts, etc. I think this is something really difficult to get if you do not apply for a university degree or something like that.

Most Universitys around here give you the option to visit some of their courses without having to do a full degree. Sometimes its just a course, sometimes it is a course with a diploma and exam at the end.

From what I hear, these courses sometimes are actually of way better quality than what you get for a degree. Because the University is booked with students, but wants (or has to) also be open to students that are not applying for a degree, they create additional courses with non-academic teachers (or flat out outsource the course). Often this results in better teachers (again, interested in TEACHING and not SCIENCE).

Of course, these courses can be expensive. But depending on the country you live in and the university you apply to, that is also true for a degree.

I really would look into online courses first before going for a degree. If you are not interested in the paper at the end, a degree is too much, and maybe also too expensive for what you get.

I would like to know if there exist any reputable online degree

Moving this to Game Industry Job Advice, where education is frequently discussed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Gian-Reto: Good point about small courses at university and not going for a full degree. I will try to get information around my country (I'm from Spain).

Cheers.

@Gian-Reto: Good point about small courses at university and not going for a full degree.

Yes. A degree in game design is not an absolute necessity. It's recommended to have A degree, but what it's in is not a deal-breaker.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Surprised it hasn't come out in this thread yet, but it is a common theme.

Many "game design" degrees are not about "game design" at all. Some are programming degrees with tidbits of design. Others are art degrees with tidbits of design.

Also, "Game Designer" is not an entry level job title. It is one of the more senior titles. It typically means you are at the helm of a seven-figure project, millions of dollars are being invested into your designs. "Lead Game Designer" typically means you have subordinate designers, likely meaning an eight-figure project, tens of millions of dollars or even hundreds of millions are being invested at your designs.

Well, I think I will go for the self-studying option... again :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement