🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help with a schoolproject

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys,

I need to do some research for a development schedule and budget for a schoolproject.

The project itself is fictional and we'll only do the concept and a part of the pre-production during this block, but they also want a schedule and budget among other things for the whole project.

The project is to make a free to play RPG mobile game with dice elements for a client.

They want us to picture ourselfs as a start up company.

The amount of time for this project would between 4-5 months untill soft launch and have a development team of 3-5 developers including myself as the designer.

I was thinking of having a team of 1 designer, 2 artists, 2 programmers and outsource the sounddesign and music.

They didn't give us a budget limit but since we would be a start-up company we probably wouldn't have the money for developers with more than 3 years of experience.

I have an idea about the budgeting but i have no idea how i could schedule the tasks for the programmers and artists, hence i came here.

Here's some of the work that would need to be done:

Battles would be fought by rolling dice, you could roll the dice by swiping the screen and maybe shaking the phone.

Enemies will drop loot as in ingame currency that the play can collect by tapping on them or will be collected automatically when the battle ends.

Special attacks can be made by having certain combinations with dice. (think yahtzee rules, like 3 of a kind, small straight, etc.)

Players can have a team of up to 5 units to battle and space for holding 15-20 other units.

two kinds of ingame currency, one common and one rare.

Units can be collected through a "gacha system", where they get units randomly out of a big pool of units in exchange for a summoning items or some form of rare ingame currency.

Setting up a server.

Players have a friends list that could have up to 20 friends from which they can add and remove other people.

Players can fight eachother.

An online shop where they can exchange real currency for ingame currency and items.

An online shop where they can exchange ingame currency for different items.

Special events where the players can get rare units through a Sugoroku gacha system(Sorry if this doesn't seem clear, i couldn't find another name for it. link for explanation: http://app-support.en.gaiax.com/blog/10-kinds-of-gacha-for-f2p/)

Players can give their units EXP by sacrificing other units.

Concept art

polishing art

UI

Bugfixes.

Alpha test

Beta test

Vertical slice

Enemy/units design batch 1, 2, etc. (around 100 units, most enemies will share the same stats and looks with the units, except for a couple of bosses)

expanding the hub mechanic (Think of the game summoners war)

I'd like to get some data about how long it would take to do these things.

Sorry for this wall of text, and thank you if read it all.

Any advice, criticism , tips and data is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Hi guys,
I need to do some research for a development schedule and budget for a schoolproject.

What does "research" mean? It means finding links, doing reading, working it out for yourself. It doesn't mean "asking other people to give you answers." This website frowns on helping students with their homework. I'm going to post some links to get you started on your research ("research" in the proper sense).

The project itself is fictional and we'll only do the concept and a part of the pre-production during this block, but they also want a schedule and budget among other things for the whole project.
The project is to make a free to play RPG mobile game with dice elements for a client.
They want us to picture ourselfs as a start up company.
The amount of time for this project would between 4-5 months untill soft launch and have a development team of 3-5 developers including myself as the designer.
I was thinking of having a team of 1 designer, 2 artists, 2 programmers and outsource the sounddesign and music.
They didn't give us a budget limit but since we would be a start-up company we probably wouldn't have the money for developers with more than 3 years of experience.
I have an idea about the budgeting but i have no idea how i could schedule the tasks for the programmers and artists, hence i came here.

To find some hints about where you can do your research, right?

Here's some of the work that would need to be done:
Battles would be fought by rolling dice, you could roll the dice by swiping the screen and maybe shaking the phone.
Enemies will drop loot as in ingame currency that the play can collect by tapping on them or will be collected automatically when the battle ends.
Special attacks can be made by having certain combinations with dice. (think yahtzee rules, like 3 of a kind, small straight, etc.)
Players can have a team of up to 5 units to battle and space for holding 15-20 other units.
two kinds of ingame currency, one common and one rare.
Units can be collected through a "gacha system", where they get units randomly out of a big pool of units in exchange for a summoning items or some form of rare ingame currency.
Setting up a server.
Players have a friends list that could have up to 20 friends from which they can add and remove other people.
Players can fight eachother.
An online shop where they can exchange real currency for ingame currency and items.
An online shop where they can exchange ingame currency for different items.
Special events where the players can get rare units through a Sugoroku gacha system(Sorry if this doesn't seem clear, i couldn't find another name for it. link for explanation: http://app-support.en.gaiax.com/blog/10-kinds-of-gacha-for-f2p/)
Players can give their units EXP by sacrificing other units.
Concept art
polishing art
UI

Why did you tell us all that stuff? We're not the ones doing this project. You are.

Bugfixes.
Alpha test
Beta test
Vertical slice

So, vertical slice comes after post-production? Interesting. And surprising.

Enemy/units design batch 1, 2, etc. (around 100 units, most enemies will share the same stats and looks with the units, except for a couple of bosses)
expanding the hub mechanic (Think of the game summoners war)
I'd like to get some data about how long it would take to do these things.

We're not going to give you data. Our job is to do nothing more than to point you to where you might look for data. Read some postmortems on gamasutra. Read some developer blogs - there's a lot of good material here on gamedev. Research it. Don't ask people to feed you. You have to hunt down the edibles yourself. It's called "research."
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm
http://www.gamasutra.com/salarysurvey2014
And scour other threads in THIS board (Production/Management). We tell upcoming indies all kinds of helpful stuff, but students on a research assignment need to be handled differently - it's your assignment, not ours.

One last thought about scheduling. Although I've produced around 60 unique titles, I cannot tell you how long it takes one artist to create one character model. It takes different artists different times (some work more efficiently than others, and some projects are under more pressure than others), and I never ever made a schedule based on knowing how long it takes to do any part of a game. The more you try to break down a project into parts, the more parts you discover that you overlooked. It's easy to spend way more time on making a detailed schedule than is necessary.

I'm seriously wrestling with shutting down this thread, since we frown on helping students with their homework here. But I'm curious to see to what level others are going to go in response to your question (and my response certainly isn't the end-all and be-all of responses to your question).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the links and advice! You're also absolutely right about the way i'm doing my research, i'll do that properly like you said.

Rusty, I'm glad to hear it. I still wrestle with locking the thread, but maybe someone will have some other links to share.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement