🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Crash on iOS arm64

Started by
15 comments, last by _Engine_ 8 years, 2 months ago

I use only Win32 build and you suggestion right AS_PTR_SIZE is equal 1 thats why offsets are 3 and 4.

And asGetLibraryOptions return AS_WIN_AS_X86.

So i compiling script on Win32 build and expect that produced script is platform independent. And looks like Win32 not produce proper bytecode for 64 bit system.

And if it is true so this is very bad news for us. Because our IDE produce ipa for iOS and on IOS byte code must compatible for 32 bit and for 64 bit either. We cannot produce byte only for one system it is ridicules because not all IOS devices shipped with 64 bit CPU. On Android we use only 32 bit build for compatibility and 64 bit bytecode is useless on android.

So if we need 64 bit build of IDE for produce 64 bit compatible byte code it will broke complity export system of our IDE.

Looks like only way for us is stay with current pipeline and pray thats on arm64 angel script continue work without crashes.

Advertisement

Also i checked this code from angelscript.h:

#ifndef AS_64BIT_PTR
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_ARG    asBCTYPE_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_DW_ARG asBCTYPE_DW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_wW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_wW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_rW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_rW_DW_ARG
#ifndef AS_PTR_SIZE
#define AS_PTR_SIZE 1
#endif
#else
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_ARG    asBCTYPE_QW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_DW_ARG asBCTYPE_QW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_wW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_wW_QW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_rW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_rW_QW_ARG
#ifndef AS_PTR_SIZE
#define AS_PTR_SIZE 2
#endif
#endif

So on Win32 define AS_PTR_SIZE will equal 1 and that why byte code not platform independent. It is very sad.

I modiffied declaration and AS_PTR_SIZE is always 2

#ifndef AS_64BIT_PTR
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_ARG    asBCTYPE_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_DW_ARG asBCTYPE_DW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_wW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_wW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_rW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_rW_DW_ARG
#ifndef AS_PTR_SIZE
#define AS_PTR_SIZE 2
#endif
#else
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_ARG    asBCTYPE_QW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_PTR_DW_ARG asBCTYPE_QW_DW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_wW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_wW_QW_ARG
#define asBCTYPE_rW_PTR_ARG asBCTYPE_rW_QW_ARG
#ifndef AS_PTR_SIZE
#define AS_PTR_SIZE 2
#endif
#endif

But news are bad. Angelscript become crashes on script execution. Crash occurs in IDE and also in modified sample https://yadi.sk/d/bMkASSkJqvbYd

So bytecode definitely not platform independent.

Hold on. I thought you were compiling the scripts directly in the iOS application. You never mentioned that you were loading pre-compiled bytecode. :rolleyes:

The saved bytecode is platform independent. You can compile bytecode on a 32bit platform, save it to disk, and then load/execute it on a 64bit platform or vice versa.

This puts a different light on the problem. If you're loading pre-compiled bytecode the bug is probably in as_restore.cpp, rather than in the compiler. The code as_restore.cpp is responsible for converting the compiled bytecode to a platform independent format for serialization and then back to platform specific bytecode when loading.

I'll investigate if the code in as_restore.cpp is working properly for this code.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Sorry for not clear mention about compiling bytecode on Win32 and executing on arm64.

I hope problem will be solved soon :)

The problem was indeed in as_restore.cpp. It wasn't adjusting the offset for the ClrVPtr at all when the variable the instruction referred to was a null pointer.

I've fixed this in revision 2313.

Regards,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This is great news :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement