🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tools for Creating Game Assets

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 8 years, 2 months ago

I posted this here, as it isn't really a Game Art question but rather more about the resume.

I'm making a small adventure game, and I've been using MS Paint to create level maps. My problem is, I also want to use this small project on my resume, and I'm afraid that saying I used MS Paint isn't going to stand out.

I don't currently have access to Adobe Photoshop, but, is using Paint.Net or GIMP just as impressive/good to know? Would it stand out better than MS paint on a resume?

Thanks in advanced.

Advertisement

For level maps and other data, if you are not applying for an artist position it doesn't really matter what tools you use.

If you are applying for an artist position you will likely need to demonstrate your art skills through various means and be expected to know how to use industry tools, but it doesn't look like that is the case here.

I see no reason to mention what tools you used to draw level maps at all.

Me too.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

For level maps and other data, if you are not applying for an artist position it doesn't really matter what tools you use.

If you are applying for an artist position you will likely need to demonstrate your art skills through various means and be expected to know how to use industry tools, but it doesn't look like that is the case here.

Thanks for your reply.

How do you suggest I would phrase it on my resume?

Write whatever you want, just keep it simple, factual, and related to what you accomplished. The descriptions are the best place for the buzzwords you want to use, leave out any you don't want to use. If using an assessment of quality, never use your own assessment, always use someone who is objective and has assessed many others.

Perhaps:

Made a game by myself in this time published by company. Game had feature one, feature two, map files that could be edited as an image, feature four, feature five. Game written in language and language, leveraging tool, tool, tool for feature, and technology for feature. Game had scores on critic sites, where critic said something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement