🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Open Transport Help

Started by
2 comments, last by kmac 22 years, 6 months ago
I'm a beginner network programmer, and I'm trying to make a networked card game. The platform I have to work on is Macintosh, so I have to use Open Transport. I downloaded the samples from apple.com, but they are anything but self explanatory, and I am unable to open the project files with the version of codewarrior I'm using, making it difficult to compile them. Does anyone have any simple source code that sends information over TCP/IP with Open Transport, or better yet know where a tutorial is about this? I have looked extensively on Google, but found nothing . Thanks KMac PS-If there is a better alternative to Open Transport, please let me know...I'm just guessing that this is the best judging from what I found about Mac network programming from Google. Edited by - kmac on November 20, 2001 8:47:26 PM
Advertisement
If you are using OSX, you can use BSD sockets (or a wrapper around them - many exist).
If you are on an older version of MacOS, OT is the way to go. However, if you are using CodeWarrior I think PowerPlant (Metrowerks'' C++ framework) includes a few network classes that hide most of the OT stuff. I wish I could give you more information but I haven''t used PowerPlant in a couple years, and these days I''m on OSX.

Matt
I''ve been looking into Power Plant as you suggested, and I think I''ve finally got it working (but the Power Plant documentation isn''t all that great either )

And if anyone wants to email me (kmccusker@mail.com) if you''re looking for help with PowerPlant Networking, let me know, I could tell you what I''ve figured out.

Thanks,
KMac
I have to agree with all the comments posted above... OT can be a can of worms to make stable. PowerPlant does a very nice job abstracting it away, but you may still need a little OT debugging knowledge to get things working just right. If you are using OSX, then BSD sockets is a tried and true API.

If you have specific questions on any of the above, you can swing by #macdev on irc.openprojects.net for a kick in the right direction.
Matt Slot / Bitwise Operator / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement