🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me decide - shadow under hood/cowl or not?

Started by
12 comments, last by riuthamus 7 years, 11 months ago

Hello everyone!

As some of you may be aware of, I'm in the process of making a video game called Beaufort. It's a game about building a sailing ship and blasting other ships to smithereens. I've been working on a character model and can't decide between two looks.

I'm not sure why I'm having such a trouble deciding between the two, but I would like your opinions on it.

On the left; option 1, on the right; option two.

As you can see, the only difference is an artificial shadow under his cowl.
What do you like better?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

With the shadow, definitely :)

no shadow for sure!

you can't see the face with the shadow.

or fix your shadow so you can still see the face , even if you have to make it lighter / more transparent than it really should be. that's the "right" way to do it.

realistic shadows are all fine and good, but this isn't the grim reaper here. you should be able to see their face.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I see this often, a artist makes one piece then adds color or accessories and can't decide what he likes more.

Games have a easy solution for this, allow the player to decide. It's like motion blur some players like it other don't and in a game they have a choice.

Also giving the player a choice on how they will look will make your game feel larger than it is.

The one with the shadow for me.

I like the one with the eyes more. It gives the character more personality.

You could go half way and keep a small shadow instead of going all black.

In my opinion, you should weigh multiple factors before making a decision.

The version with the shadow does give a darker impression, as if character went through some tough experiences. So if your story contains such elements and you are trying to give off a more serious vibe, I would suggest going for the shadow.

If, on the other hand, your game is more of a fun comedic type, then the version without a shadow seems appropriate too.

You could also consider using both. Switching between them according to situation. Especially if your game contains cutscenes. The shadow version could be used to a create dramatic effect in a cutscene.

On the last note, the shadow provides less detail to the character, which could allow player to project himself onto the heroe more easily.

Good luck with your game.

With the shadow, but it shouldn't be 100% black. I normally make my shadows 45% opaque, with a very slightly purple color. With your art style, though, I'd suggest starting at 60% transparency and tweaking from there until it looks right. You might also want to have the eyes shine out of the shadows just slightly brighter than the rest of the face.

Option 1 where you can see the eyes, for me

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I like the shadow but I'd make it more transparent. It's good to be able to see the eyes.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's clear to me that there should be a shadow, but the way I've done it is just not the way to do it.
I've decided to take a different approach: when the player wears a hood, I'll change the texture of the face, which is the exact same texture, but with a little ambient occlusion added. The result is attached.

I think it looks more coherent to the rest of the "art" style.
Anyway, thanks again for helping me out. I needed the nudge :D .
Oh and if you want to see more of my game, check out the facebook page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement