🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenSSL DTLS server structure suggestions?

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 8 years ago

Hello. Recently I read an article about securing UDP traffic using DTLS. I'm trying to create a basic server architecture in c++ using OpenSSL but I have not been able to use DTLS like UDP. Does anyone have any experience working with DTLS?

I have seen an example open a new thread per client. The problem with that structure is coordinating all the read buffers. Using a thread per client seems like a lot of overhead compared to UDP with one single receive thread that gets data from all clients.

Advertisement

I have seen an example open a new thread per client.

Just because the example does it, doesn't mean that you have to do it.
You can still use a single input socket (I presume they do that in the example?) and as long as you associate contexts for the OpenSSL library with the correct remote source (using some hash table, typically,) it can all live in the same thread.
Unfortunately, I haven't used OpenSSL DTLS in anger, and don't remember the exact names of the data structures/functions, so I can't contribute more than that.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Just because the example does it, doesn't mean that you have to do it.

You can still use a single input socket (I presume they do that in the example?) and as long as you associate contexts for the OpenSSL library with the correct remote source (using some hash table, typically,) it can all live in the same thread.
Unfortunately, I haven't used OpenSSL DTLS in anger, and don't remember the exact names of the data structures/functions, so I can't contribute more than that.

Thank you, I took your advice and tried to create a single loop but I have ran into problems. SSL_read is blocking. This blocks new handshakes and reads from other clients.

It seems using blocking threads or asynchronous IO both have their own complexities that I will need to solve. I was hoping someone had already ran into these problems and found the path of least resistance. I believe I need to just put in the work and keep trying until I find what works best for my application.

SSL_read is blocking

I looked at the documentation, and it seems SSL_read() isn't a good match for a typical DTLS program.
There appears to be some "use OpenSSL on a memory stream" functions/structs, that could probably be used instead.
Another option would be to make the socket non-blocking. Calling SSL_read() would then make it return an error (something like SSL_WANT_READ.)
Try this: https://funcptr.net/2012/04/08/openssl-as-a-filter-(or-non-blocking-openssl)/
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement