🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about how to approach "classifieds" (or this sort of work in general)

Started by
2 comments, last by JoshCzoski 7 years, 10 months ago

So I may be in a position that's *fairly* unique.

At my last job, in a really small start-up, I found myself doing BOTH work as a composer and as a Unity developer, kind of going back and forth.

So, I'm looking at the classifieds saying I need to pick a category, understandable in sort of an "either-or" situation.

I kind of have two questions, I think: specifically, in terms of the classifieds, what if I wanted to post an ad as both a Unity developer and a game composer?

And of course, in step with that, I'm wondering (maybe just "wondering out loud") how or if this is something that I can market myself toward another developer - I'm thinking that would be more appealing to a start-up where people wear multiple hats like we all did, but bigger companies will be more interested in hiring one person for one job.

I mean, the reason I would go back and forth at the start-up is because it could make sense as far as division of labor was concerned - we wouldn't always need me to work on music and other times I could be spared from being absolutely necessary for development.

Anyway, it makes me wonder how this can work (if it can work).

Advertisement

in terms of the classifieds, what if I wanted to post an ad as both a Unity developer and a game composer?
Being the classifieds as "either-or", as you say, it's reasonable to expect others will read it as such. There, fore, posting a "I can do both" may get missed.

Instead, why not post 2 classifieds, one as composer who can also program Unity, and one as Unity programmer that can also compose games? That is, sell it as a bonus to the job you offer to do :)

Of course, you run the risk that someone doesn't need you as a composer, but only as a Unity developer (or the other way around). You may want to spend a line or two text on how you feel about that.

I agree - just post two classifieds.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Well that sounds good - I'll go ahead and do that, then.

Thanks! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement