🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Packet types for listen servers

Started by
0 comments, last by hplus0603 7 years, 9 months ago

I cant find this info so come here for expert advice hopefully this is a 2 seconds answer for most here, how can I find out what sort of packet types are the most important and should be prioritized in online gaming? i.e ACK SYN ICMP FIN RST etc

I am creating a profile on a router to priortise the correct packet types, specifically I am interested in Console (COD/PS4) - I figure I can use wireshark to intercept some packets but how do I know which are the important ones i.e. ones that carry info like location updates, hitbox/hit reg updates etc..

I am specifically interested in listen server P2P style connection rather than dedicated servers as the profile is for competitive gaming (private lobbies).

Thanks for any info I've been trying to find out myself but have been stumped for some time at this point!

Advertisement
You would have to prioritize UDP packets. TCP packets, with the flags you list, are not important.
You can't really tell which UDP packets are the most important, other than "they come from/to your console's IP."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement