🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG's? Kiss my a**!!!

Started by
24 comments, last by kill 24 years, 5 months ago
I just got this idea, that I think is worth sharing. Let''s look at 99% of the RPG''s that come out on the market today. It''s click-doubleclick-turboclick-clickevenfaster stupidity games. U buy items, go click urself to death, get lotsa hitpoints and gold, buy more stuff, go fight again, etc. etc. etc. And to add to that, huge dungeons, and very small towns, with no stories whatsoever. Personally what I am looking for in RPG is something that will take me away to another world with wonderful graphics, and amazing story. FF7 pretty much did that, but it lacked one thing. U practically have no choices. Whatever u do, there are small differences on the way, but the story is not dynamic, whatever u do, it still prograsses the same way. To sum it all up, dynamic story where ur choices actually make a difference, great graphics (could be avi''s for all I care, not necesserely 3d) and sound. Something that will take u away from reality. Not the crap that comes out right now. Does anyone care to comment?
Advertisement
Well I agree with you.. but i think FF7 is to linear.. i like fallout 1-2 more.. thoose games have a good story and a great amount of secondary missions....
I agree that there are a lot of clickfest crapass games, but there are some games that do nonlinear environments very well, like fallout, and daggerfall. But those kinds of games take a lot more time to produce instead of a simple linear game, and since rpgs take 1 to 2 years to produce anyway, "the man" doesn''t find taking 3 years to make an excellent free flowing game to be a very economically sound idea.

Yeah, like Mathias said, you want a very well done RPG check out Fallout, or even Fallout 2.

Fallout 1 was the most near perfect RPG I have ever played. You could play it with a variety of character types and still finish the game. Each character finishing the game in a different way.

While I really liked Fallout 2, there wasn''t as much direction in it, you know, something to keep you focused on the game. It was like it was almost too much.

I know the technology is a little old, but if some of the best RPGS I ever played (for non-linear story line and replay value) were Bethesda''s Elder Scrolls series (Arena and DaggerFall) http://www.bethsoft.com/ .

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
I also like fallout 2 but... I found it to be alittle too non-linear like mordell says you can go to any place and go anywhere you want (as long as you can handle it...)
Like being able to get the 2nd best armor in the game 5 minunts into it which is something you can to in Fallout 2...

Kavos
Well.. how could i forgot daggerfall... wow that game is realy big.....
i liked the fallout 2 but i managed to finish it after 3 week from i bougth it... i played almost every day...
i also like Outcast.. wich is more like a adventure game.
did you guys ever play ultima? if you have you know what i mean when i say: there's the best rpg's you'll ever find. for example, ultima 6; the resolution is crappy, yes, and the graphics arent that fine either, the sound really sucks (pc-speaker). but hell i had fun playing that game! and even better, its two sequals ultima 7 part 1 & part 2, you can even bake bread! its quite non-linear too. and the story is amazing all over the ultima serie...kinda an obsessment for some of us every time you play it you _will_ definatley find something new. you wont have to click yourself to death either, instead, you will want to read alot (keeping notes is really needed here)! check it out!

Edited by - Staffan on 1/21/00 4:20:30 PM
Well forgot ultima 7 too... =)
i spend hours in that game just talking to different people and making new weapons and made bread and other stuff... lots of superb interactivity in that game....
I think it''s important for some RPGs to be quite linear...Take FFVII for example, in order to keep the story as amazing as it was, it needed to make most choices for you...Granted, this was like a book...but who doesn''t enjoy an epic book?

***BINS***
***BINS***
and then there''s zelda. well, its extremely debatable as to whether or not the zelda games are RPGs. more adventure games than rpgs, i guess. those games were pretty linear, except for all the little side-quests you could do to get all the best stuff or all the hearts. good god those games are fun! there''s like no possible way you can lose in those games, but they were still some of my favorite console games. FF7 and 8 are cool, but i wish they had the interactivity and RPGishness that FF3 did. 3 is still my favorite FF game. Anybody remember how you could have sex with the barmaid in Ultima 7, part 2? now THAT''s interaction!

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement