🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Playing compositions into a program?

Started by
0 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 6 months ago

Hello. I've never actually used electronic music programs before but I figured I should ask people about where to begin.. I have studied classical piano/composition for 10+ years and am uninterested in really pursuing live playing and performance, but I'd like to still compose and see if I can use my skill somewhere else. I'm wondering if there is a professional program that lets you record your compositions in time onto a staff if you play them through a midi(electronic ..? I'm clueless) keyboard. Something that would record the jist of them onto a staff, then I'd obviously have to tweak things and move around whatever I wanted, or correct mistakes and mistimings. Ive heard programs can do this but I have no idea where to begin and I'm really ..looking for that specific feature, I guess, since that's what I've been doing for so long.

I appreciate any help and I hope that was not too vague, apologies if this is a super basic question or something that does not exist.

Here's an example of one of my compositions: https://www.facebook.com/graham.moseley/videos/746213198816155/?l=6717364660153080963

Advertisement

Cubase allows you to record MIDI keyboard parts and see/edit them in Staff View. Almost all DAW software ("Digital Audio Workstation") allows you to record MIDI keyboard events and play them back through virtual instruments (often called VSTis), but few have a truly usable Staff View that a classical composer would often choose to work with.

Cubase is a good all-round piece of audio software. But if you just want to compose on the computer and don't see a need for recording other audio sources (such as microphones, guitars), dedicated notation software might serve you better, something like Sibelius or Finale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement