🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What freelance experience reflects best on an individual when transitioning into the industry?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 5 months ago

Hello all,

To clarify my question in my topic title, I want to transition from freelance / other work into the game production area over the course of a few years. I am a student now that is satisfied to work on freelance projects using my game design skills that I am learning. I currently live in Colorado Springs, which doesn't supply a lot of game development / production work - actually none, zilch, few and far in-between. Personally, I don't want to put up with a drive to Denver each day or move to Boulder yet, so I am going to focus on projects and get some fundamental skills under my belt through freelance work before breaking into the industry. I am currently focused on being a writer / working in publishing, building my networking relationships, and using my skills in game development to build educational components for children in a small company I am building, launching fully once I graduate.

Anyway, with all of those items going on that can benefit me from a producer role for the next few years, I was wondering what I could start doing freelance to round out my experiences? The educational materials I build / will be building out will show I can program, and I am pushing for the creation of children's literature / animations / other educational materials will hone my artistic abilities. I was thinking of trying to find some freelance QA Testing work but have struggled to find job postings. I don't mind to have to go chase down gigs on freelancer or something like that, but I was wondering what types of resources are recommended for trying to get into that specific line of work? Or, what type of work you think I could be doing?

Also, one last question, I do like to program and love new challenges, I heard about a position where you build software that automates the bug checking process in the game? Something like SDNET? It is a weird sibling child of QA Tester? Is this something that is available freelance wise?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

- Emily (kgg)

Advertisement

I heard about a position where you build software that automates the bug checking process
in the game? ... It is a weird sibling child of QA Tester?

Yes. SDETs are Software Development Engineers in Test. They write automated tests and do
white box testing. All Microsoft's testers are SDETs, I hear.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement