🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice for finding work as freelance programmer

Started by
4 comments, last by Alessio1989 7 years, 4 months ago

Hi, I worked remotely for a company for over a year, now they are in financial crysis (Actually I'm collaborating with them on a project for another game company, but they are no longer my "Employers", still happy to working with them XD).

I completed 4 games titles (Games Store ready, not just titles with placeholder graphics). Unluckily I can showcase only 1 title (going to become opensource soon), and maybe I will be able to show another 2 titles in next months (If the publisher I was working for finally decides to publish the games and ending the testing). The 4th title (in reality it was the first to be realized in temporal order), will never be showcased: it was a demo my company was using to show to potential customers, I can show videos of it, but I was explicitly forbidden to release the APK file, nor to let anyone play with it on my phone.

How do I find more contract works? I have 3 years in Unity3D experience (more than 1 year as paid freelance), 6 years in C++/OpenGL (mostly contributions to opensource projects, and personal projects most of which are lost anyway since I can't retrieve the code)

I have good math knowledge and experience in shader writing, unluckily seems I'm only suitable for big companies (I've had just 1 job interview with a big company in UK they offered to help with relocation but I had to decline). That was 2 years ago for a unity related job.

So, what to do now (1 game almost ready to be showed, And I can actually show my code since it will become opensource), and what to do when I can show also my other 2 games?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Do you have a portfolio to share (i.e a website, github page, etc)?

Are you looking for on site or remote work?

Any industry specifically? Games, finance, etc?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

How do I find more contract works?

Mostly through your network of contacts. You need to keep working to expand your network of contacts. Some networking

tips: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

How do I find more contract works?

Do you have an active LinkedIn profile with a network of contacts. The Majority of freelance work I get is through people finding me on linked in or through recruiters sharing my information from LinkedIn on their internal jobs boards.

Ah thanks I not cured very much LinkedIn because I did not have time during my job. (1 year not updating it XD)

?I'm looking for remote work (possibly) or for short periods of relocation (if remote work is not possible) s Game Programmer (sorry thought was obvious on GameDev.Net), and yes I have something to show as portoflio (which is something like the 10% of what I really did, mostly because I lost some code projects in the time and because I still cannot publish some games.

I had some non-game dev contracts, but most work I've done is as Game developer.

Just saw this in the Steam form of Lego Worlds, TTGames (they should be located in UK) is hiring: http://www.ttgames.com/jobs/

Hope this help.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement