🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for feedback for a game's name

Started by
7 comments, last by Writersface13 6 years, 11 months ago

Hello Everyone.

I am making a browser game which will be a simulated civilisation game set many thousands of years ago.
It will utilise thousands of simulated plants, animals and people.

I'm currently thinking of a title for this game, but nothing really sticks. Perhaps I'm naming the project too soon, maybe more needs to be showcased. I need something to run with for now. What do you think of Simuopolous? like it?, hate it? what does it make you think of? and... other suggestions for a name?

Thanks

Advertisement

It's ok. I kinda like it but I have a bit of a hard time reading it and it seems prone to mispronunciation. As I understand, the general advice is for the name to be one of the last things you look at.

Personally, I've just named my projects Lab(X) since college. Otherwise I'd spend way too much time on the name and probably be even more reluctant to move on to new projects

Simoupolis sounds fine to me. it gives the impression that your game is a 3rd-party grecian take on sim city.

Reminded me ancient "SimEarth" of Maxis. I think name Simuopulous / Simopolis etc is a bit cryptic unless you're Greek :)

Unlike classic games where you can always come with a domain somehow related to game itself, it's a must in browser games so I think timing isn't bad. I've been in same position as signature may suggest :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I agree that it's a little hard to pronounce just by looking at it. I guess without knowing more info about the game, it's hard to say.

Yeah, I feel the name should roll off the tongue. You can keep "sim", but maybe change the last part.

Maybe (and this is just what I can think of in like 30 seconds) "Ancient Simulization"? something like that?

I agree with Kseh, It's hard to read at first sight or maybe because English is my second language we need more opinions from others.

In my opinion, titles should be catchy and easy to memorize so it will be easier for people to remember the game and that will stuck on their minds. Uniqueness is also a good point so people will remember your game first before other things.
I learned this when I read of Iacoca Lee's biography.
For me, I always name my game on the final stage of project because I think it's an important part of the game making that it should be think thoroughly of course I might be wrong but that's what I follow.
Good luck I hope you find a good name for your game

It's not bad. A title is always tough for me as well. If I were you, I would hold onto that as the project name for now. Titles should be catchy and say a lot about the the game. If you feel that's for you, go for it. But don't be afraid to change it later on. You may find yourself discovering a title while making the game. Moving through your work will almost surely produce another idea. Good luck with your game!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement