🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[iOS] Doom the Dinosaurs

Started by
4 comments, last by gdjm 7 years, 1 month ago

Hi, guys this is my first mobile game. I have worked on it alone.

Gameplay is quite simple. You play as a Moon and your goal is to kill as many dinosaurs as possible without destroying the earth. For this you have to try to balance incoming asteroids.

I plan on slowly adding features to it, that's why you feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Game is free and has minimal ads(Banner in menus).

Gameplay video.

AppStore link.

Advertisement

Hey, congrats on your first game! It's a big accomplishment to get that first one out there.

I just downloaded and played it for a little bit. The idea is solid and I like the basic gameplay. I love the style of the Earth and moon, but I wish the asteroids used the same style (they look like 2d chicken nugget sprites).

Your presentation is too minimal for my taste. It makes the game feel unfinished before I've even started playing (there is no splash screen, title screen, intro... just straight into the gameplay screen) The little mini explanation of the controls is perfect, but I had to read your description of the game before I knew how to "win." You might want to add a brief explanation of the rules into the game.

Like I said, the idea is solid and immediately gives me a lot of ideas for expanding it. The most obvious would be to make the asteroids not always aim directly at the Earth - alot of them could be near-misses unless you use the moon's gravity to direct them into the Earth. Asteroids could also do a few elliptical orbits before they hit.

You could also introduce other planets with different configurations (bigger/smaller planet, bigger/smaller moon... moons at different distances.... multiple moons? You could also use the moon to absorb the impact of a planet-killer asteroid, breaking it into smaller asteroids that won't destroy the planet in one hit.

Good start though. Keep it up!

Hi thanks for playing my game.

I have added title to the main screen(It will be available in the next version) but yeah, lack of instructions and menu has been bothering me for quite a while now.

I am trying to find some creative ways to explain what's the 'goal' of the player, but don't have any concise ideas as of now. Game had a more detailed instruction in the beginning, but no one from the test audience bothered to read it, so I removed it.

Planet configuration is indeed a very great idea. I will start toying with it asap.

Thanks for taking time to write such a detailed response. Will try to keep everything in mind.

Okay, as promised I released a new version of the game. I have added simple menu and a totally new game mode. You can play with two moons now. It is kind of too hard as of now, but I am already working on balancing it.

I also have some good ideas about instruction. Will start implementing them over time.

I luUuv your title but what do you against poor little Dinos ?! Seriously congrats I also like the Earth's design and despite the tiny screenshots I was able to appreciate its graphics. Small but nice. However your gameplay explanation is definitely confusing. The Moon ? I saw at least 2 in a screen. Also where are the dinos ?! You should add better images because in fact they look too similar. Also some testers would appreciate a port on PC or browser. Good luck with your new ideas and don't hesitate to come back !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement