🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

one man vs many men on a single tile

Started by
2 comments, last by MichaelElmquist 7 years ago

I'm developing a RPG style game where each player has an army of men  consisting of Knights, Swordsmen, Axemen, Archers, Mages and Scouts. There will be 5 kingdoms with  each  one having it's own square tiled map 100*100 or possibly larger, randomly generated   There will 10 kinds of  enemies  Goblins, Hobgoblins, Brigans, Trolls, Dark Knights, Deamons, Ghosts,  Dragons, Evil Wizards, and Gnomes.  There will  be plants, scrolls, fruit water, meat, oil , grain , horses of 4 kinds,  weapons, wands, potions, rings  armor ECT.

You will be able to visit the following places bazars to buy things , taverns to recruit more men, inns to rest, stables to buy horses, and blacksmiths to upgrade things.  There will also be 2 places of interest per map that have maps of their own with stairs going up or down to other maps. . My question is simple would a game like be better to have just 1 man / enemy/ plant / other thing  per tile and have the men and enemies attack when on a-joining tiles or allow many men per tile and have the men and enemies fight when on the same  tile? Right now many men are allowed on each tile but I'm beginning to rethink that design, as I want to randomly lay objects  on some tiles weapons, scrolls, rings, potions ECT.  and have men pick them up. Also the having to select the men you want on each tile maybe a mirco managing pain. What do you think? Most of the game is already coded.

Advertisement

I tend to agree with you. Lots of things on a single tile will likely become cumbersome and might require its own new interface to manage. I'd rather keep it simple and use adjacent tile combat.

I agree with missionctrl, the usual suggestion of single tiles means that single things are on them. It'll force to game to spread out more as well, especially if the maps are as big as 100x100.

My Website and Bandcamp for music.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement