🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bad writer need help with sci-fi story

Started by
6 comments, last by gambit924 6 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking about some sci-fi game like Grand Theft Auto. It is important because story is designed for this type of game.

Story

Year 3050

Ships of new enemy attacked planet and destroyed almost whole planet, before federation fleet destroyed them. Some people survived. Between them was a girl, Kes. She stay on planet, steal food. One man find her and help her. Because he know she has a adventurous character. They become traders nad space pirates. One day man was shot and she runaway and take his ship.

The second main protagonist and playable character is son of general or some else with high status. His father want for him to be ship commander, but he ended in a hangar and helping with repairing ships.

One day Kes is arrested and blackmailed by federation. She must do some jobs for them and her partner is Raldy. When doing some job they meet old friend. Man who saved Kes when she was young. They make a team and start some business.

I think sci-fi is great for game like GTA. In game can be lots of gangs, stealing space ship, lots of business and I already hate games when you saving the world. Mass Effect have lots of talking and I do not like it in this game type.

Advertisement

It's very unclear what you are asking for. You should ask specific questions and state clearly what it is that you want help with.

This story might work and I don't see any problem with a sci-fi set up for a game with mechanics similar to GTA. Your story needs a lot of work, though. There's nothing interesting in it so far, just a vague outline of what could be an interesting plot if you put some serious work into it, or just a dull backstory to justify your setting. And let's be honest, lots of games settle for the latter option, so that might be totally fine if you don't want to put dozens of work hours into getting the story right.

If you want to flesh out your story, I suggest thinking about the following questions.

• What makes your characters extraordinary?
  • Why is their story told instead of anybody else's story?
  • How are their actions changing the world?

Don't get the last question wrong, they don't necessarily need to change the whole universe, but they need to impact the world around them and change it somehow.

Thank you for reply.

My first question is if somebody have some idea for my story. I always come up with some idea then I write it. But I can not continue. I know that I will not make whole story in a week, but after month I have nothing more than basic. I know my story is cliche, but whatever. I do games just for fun now.

Another question. Any tip about making missions? But I think, there is no advice.

You are right. I do not want spend two years writing story, so I will choose second option too. And thanks for questions. I will think about them.

If you consider yourself a bad writer, I recommending reading 'Story'  by Robert McKee. It'll change your outlook on things.

Crafting a good story is something you get better at by doing everyday. Try spending just a few minutes on your story a day. If you know the broad spectrum of your story (beginning, middle, and end), it shouldn't be hard from there. If you want some exercises to help flex your writing muscles these will do the trick:

http://nofilmschool.com/2016/04/blocked-get-unstuck-these-free-resources-writers-tips

If you're looking to craft a world rich with lore try this:

http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/

Everything you could ever want to know about your world will eventually be a question asked. I used it for my book and it really helped set me straight. Also, Cassandra Clare (author of The Mortal Instruments series) uses this as well. I guarantee this will give you a great insight into your world.

I hope some of this helps. Good luck with your game!

Space gangster stories are not common as anything aside from a subplot. Both SW and ME have prominent examples (shadow-broker/black suns).

That being said, if gangs in space is the main drive of the game, it could be quite original.

Hm...Reminds me of the Privateer games by Chris Roberts, who also created Wing Commander. Basically it's kind of a space pirate game LOL. It's not a bad concept at all as it actually did pretty well and he just created a new game with the same concept. As for being a "bad writer", I wouldn't say that. Just undeveloped perhaps. There's nothing wrong with that. Just keep working at it. Keep progressing. You may be surprised at what you can achieve even as an under developed writer. Practice makes experience. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement