🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RPG - Fast Paced Tactical Gameplay?

Started by
3 comments, last by kuroro_san 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello all, 

I'm wondering if you guys can point me to some good examples of a tactical combat system that is nonetheless fairly snappy. The remaster of FFXII (One of my favorites) has been fueling some creatives ideas, and I'd like to see some other examples of similar mechanics to see what I'm interested in dreaming up.

Thanks!

Advertisement

That's hard to say. You could try a system like a cross between the modern Final Fantasy style of limited time to choose your move, and FF tactics. I can't think of any examples except perhaps the combat in some of the older Relic games, and it seems like you don't mean RTS games. Perhaps you could be more specific?

Honestly, you've come up with something that's really hard to think of examples for. Maybe Valkyria Chronicles?

Bioware RPGs?  Maybe.  Divinity Original Sin?  I have a soft spot for the early Star Ocean games.  Do you want only real time?  Shadowrun's got fairly quick turn based combat, being a bit of XCOM lite.

A little late, but Tales series are pretty fast paced where you can modify strategies of party members and control them as well similar to Star Ocean as ferrous has commented. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement