🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinions and suggestions wanted :)

Started by
4 comments, last by Beacon 6 years, 10 months ago

Hello, I'm in the process of writing down a large project into a mind map (and testing the suitability of these features in Unity) and I would love to hear the views of other people interested in game design and perhaps more experienced in game design than I am. I will keep it short since all the information about the games design is in the mind map, but I just want to mention that it's an "immersive sim survival game" with a high focus on collaboration with NPCs. Small disclaimer, the mind map is rather big, around 8 pages worth of text.

https://www.mindmeister.com/912394562/group-focused-survival-game-system

Any feedback on any of the mechanics, suggestions for improvements or additions would be greatly appreciated. Also the issue of death is still something I am not quite sure on how to do, I want something new and novel and not just the same old re-spawn system, the only two alternatives I can come up with is permanent death or that you continue playing as one of the NPCs you have around you when you die, but this feels very lacking since it's a survival game and death should really mean something, does anyone out there have a new and novel way of how to tackle death? :/

This is also meant to be presented to a team of people so if anything is unclear I would be very happy if you told me :)

Advertisement

I would really like to give you feedback, however, I do not have the time to go through all that document.

I would suggest presenting smaller parts of the game, and starting with summarizing the concept of the game, as this mind map is really big to read, and it would take a really long time to properly get through it to provide you with adapted feedback. 

Additionally, for the presentation, I would suggest writing a word document, that is easier to read and more structured, so that you can introduce the game, and then each system and mechanic one by one.

Finally, I would start by summarizing the concept of the game, and what makes it unique,  into a 1 minute pitch, and once the people are hooked on it, then delve deeper into the details of the gameplay.

Aurelien Folie - Odin - Founder of Asgaard Studio

Creator of unique, bespoke experiences

Gentleman Extraordinaire

That is a good idea :) The mind map got bit big, but writing a report style presentation might be good, thank you :)

Hey! Looked through your mindmap and at a glance I think it sounds really cool. This genre is sorely in need of innovative AI since most survival games are PvP or just mindless monsters and really disconnected friendlies.

I really like how you have thought about the AI system, the relationship-part probably needs some love but the GOP, and the chat system and how you plan to set up all the parameters are really interesting, I hope you continue to post or give a link so we can see how that goes.

Your question about death, I have always felt that either just respawning or hardcore death feels really un-immersive. I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

Generally it sounds as you have great ideas about movement, damage, hunger, action, crafting al all mechanics. To implement them will be quite the challange but I wish you the best of luck!

23 hours ago, Plast said:

I'd really like to see something along the way of your respawn is as a lone wanderer coming into the "society" that you as a player has been a part of or perhaps built. Whereas you'd wander upon your old inventory or something like that. But all relashionships should be gone and depending on settings (difficulty or mode) you could be more or less trusted.

That is a great idea :D I never really thought about how much of an impact resetting the relationships would have, and it gives a much more deep and realistic strategy for keeping the society you built together, since if you build a very closed and hostile society to keep yourself safe from other players and other hostile NPC's you'll not be able to get back into the society yourself if you die :) That's  so much cooler than just loosing your inventory, you might literally have created your worst enemy since the society will keep going and if you've created a society bent on "world domination" who go out looking for survivors and keep them as slaves once you die you will be battling that society that you made. Brilliant idea :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement