🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rhythm FPS

Started by
4 comments, last by Yotingo 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm trying to design a Rhythm First Person Shooter but it's proving to be more challenging than I expected.

The goal is freedom from FPS movement and agency mixed with the intense thrill of not messing up when things get hectic in a Rhythm game.

My inspirations for the rhythm aspect have come from games like One Finger Death Punch, Kick Beat, Beat Buddy, and Dance Dance Revolution.

I don't intend for it to be musically driven (like Beat Buddy). I'm more interested in rhythmic action (like One Finger Death Punch).

Any suggestions or ideas on how to make this happen would be incredible!

Advertisement

I have no idea about the rhytm-aspect of your game, i did'n't play any of your examples,

but i do wonder why you picked first person shoot over third person shooter though.

I was concerned with the character getting in the way of the action, rather than complimenting it. I supposed that all comes down to how I set it up though. 

I'm always open to suggestions.

How would you do a Rhythm Third Person Shooter? 

A character could be made very thin or see-through(showing only the outlines)

1 hour ago, Yotingo said:

How would you do a Rhythm Third Person Shooter?

difficult question, i 've only played one or two rhytm-games,

i recall there was a rhytm-racing game that worked very well since racing is about movement and "notes" could be put in different lanes and the character/car would have to collect them while racing.

Shooters, on the other hand, are about aiming.

I think having a known rhytm/sound playing and while a certain (loud) note would sound it would five/tenfold all points a player gets for killing monsters would constitute a rhytm-shooter.

I wasn't saying 3rd person is better then  1st person btw, I was just thinking about some 3rd-person action games where combat is more melee-orientated and somethiplayng like "rhytm" is easier to imagine.

If you're going for shooting + rhytm you may want to think about 2D-sidescrolling  though,i recall some later sonic-games(2d action/jumper/platformer) going realy fast and the soundtrack being adapted to the gameplay,and i think this may be some half-form/first-attempt at action + rhytm BEFORE the rhytm-genre was actually discovered.(as far as shooters + action/jumping/melee is concerned, a (level-)designer can easily combine these by depleting/replenishing ammo)

You countered my question with your own question, so i have two more questions for you:

1) Are you making this game or just discussing it ?

2) WTF are rhytm-games ? i know about guitar-hero which you're not trying to make and a racing-cross-over, and a cross-over with RPG would be so easy it would go unnoticed,

but it  appears to me you don't have a clear idea about how a 1st-person-shooter + rhytm would  PLAY like, correct ?

You bring up some great ideas! I googled rhythm-racing because I'd never heard of that before. It's as if Guitar Hero put a car on top of their music track. Seems interesting.

I think you're right about 2D side-scrolling, those are some of the first rhythm games I remember. Keeping the same sort of simplicity would be beneficial. I honestly don't have a lot of experience developing 2D vs 3D. I just love 3D games and I love rhythm games so that's really my motivation for trying to mix them together.  

1) Currently I'm prototyping this game. If I end up with something fun, I'll continue to develop it. Otherwise I'll move on to something different.

2) haha honestly I don't know the definition of a rhythm game. Everyone I've talked to seems to have a different idea about what they are and how they should work. You're right, I definitely don't have a clear idea of how 1st-person-shooter & rhythm would play. Experimental things are the best. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement