🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Original music, looking for opinions. Could it fit in some way into video games?

Started by
3 comments, last by Carador 6 years, 9 months ago

Good afternoon! I have recently joined this community. I want to learn many new things on the  videogame soundtracks area . Besides being aware of the projects of others (music, videogames, scripting...), because I find something very interesting.

Today I would like to share with you two themes that I have recently composed. I would like to try soon  to do some tracks  dedicated to being a hypothetical soundtrack, but I still need to improve a lot, and take advice from people who know about this, and who doesn't but wants to give a constructive advice :]

Thank you very much. You will probably see me through other posts here in GameDev. I see that the people here are great and the community very rich in culture, ideas and good atmosphere.

Advertisement

I think your music is good. The only advice I would give you is that a composer for games needs to think about the context in which the music is used. Your first track especially has a real sense of progression and dynamics - and while this is essential for a memorable piece of music, it can be jarring if playing in the background of an exploration game. You may want to complement work like the above with work that is designed for specific types of gameplay - exploration, combat, etc - or for different settings of game (sci-fi, fantasy, modern)

You're right. I think that as a challenge and a practice, I will try to propose, for example, before starting to compose, to say to myself: "This is a scene of X thing". And then try to compose something for that scene.

Thank you very much for your comment and help! 

Good Works

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement