🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rock n' roller requesting feedback on first orchestral attempt...

Started by
6 comments, last by PhazeShift 6 years, 8 months ago

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.

Like many others here, I am an aspiring game composer.  My musical background is in rock, and guitar is my primary instrument.  I grew up playing in metal and rock bands, and listening mostly to metal and punk rock.

However, being a gamer from the time I was a kid (back in the NES days!), video game music holds a special place in my heart.  I also have a great appreciation for many other styles as well, including classical/orchestral.

Anyhoots, long story short, I have recently been working on an orchestral track and would like to request some feedback from you guys.  Everyone here seems super cool and positive, so I figured why not throw it out there and see what kinda reaction I get.

All feedback/criticism is welcome and much appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

I'd say that sometimes the melody is getting drowned out by the other instruments, and that sometimes the harmonic progression isn't obvious, especially in the first half of the song.

I also think some of the timing feels off - if the notes are quantised to the grid, this is perhaps because instruments with slow attacks are being played alongside fast attack instruments like percussion. The slower notes may need starting earlier, in that case.

I think ideally some of the samples need upgrading, especially where it's perhaps the same sample played at the same velocity and volume, but obviously you have to work with what you have.

Subjectively I would have liked to have seen some more re-use of motifs and variation across the piece. Perhaps that's already there and I'm just missing it.

Thank you for the detailed critique Kylotan.

I agree with most of what you said.

I was getting so wrapped up in the details of the piece that I couldn't see the forest for the trees, which is why I needed an outside perspective.

Thanks for helping to provide some much needed clarity.

Kylotan gave you some excellent input that I totally agree with. I'd also add that it doesn't sound like all of your instruments are in the same space or environment. You have some cool ideas!!! I love the section at 54 seconds - reminds me of Castlevania. Read up on production tricks and arrangement tricks, especially as it relates to orchestral music. You can actually do a lot with subpar samples when you really push the production side of things. 

Thanks for sharing! 

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hey Nate, thanks for the response!

Yes, I agree that I need to up my game on the production end.  I haven't really jumped as deep as I need to into the orchestral world just yet.  I realize that in order to get to a professional level, I need to really bone up on my orchestral arrangement/production chops, and eventually I will.

Funny that you picked up on the Castlevania influence, as that is my favorite music in all of video games.  I honestly think that the music from SOTN is some of the best music ever composed, video games or otherwise.  I'm actually currently working on a metal version of Bloody Tears/Monster Dance from Simon's Quest.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback!

It has indeed some really cool Castlevania vibes going on. I think this is quite good for a first attempt. Keep it up!

Thanks nihitori!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement