🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on my Alpha (2D zombie survival)

Started by
7 comments, last by Poitertjuh 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi!

Im doing a sp/ co-op zombie survival / travel game in the lines of Zombie road to canada or Overland. Plz try it out and post any feedback you might have here. There is exploding zombies, flamethrowers, traders and collectable thumbs ;)

Hold spacebar to see tips (you will need them).

1. How many days could you survive? (and on what setting)
2. What was too hard? To easy?
3. It most likely looks crappy in windowed mode (it does on my GPU). Try fullscreen.
4. The "armoured units" mechanics is not explained well and I might scrap it. (Some units are "armoured" and these should be killed with "piercing weapons" such as axes and rifles). Do you think it can add tactics to the game or is it just annoying? 
5. Note: All units GFX are placeholder and should be animated. You wanna join the team :)? (will post in classified later).

Download is 20MB. You need DirectX (its windows only)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vhnue6typ4ex93h/DamnationRoad_ALPHA_1.rar?dl=0

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Advertisement

Noone? I would really appriciate some feedback.

Erik

I tried it out a few times, i seem to only find one screen-modus that shows the whole game (windowed, full screen didn't work) and on that setting i only see 3 places to visit instead of 4. (intentional?)

I got to level 4 on normal, i think the balance right now is okay, though you could implement extra lives.

(and some stats/score when the game is over)

I haven't figured out how armor worked, and i have no idea what the difference between the varying guns is,

additionally the player can't see how much loot is worth, while he needs to drop loot often due to lack of space,

actually having to drop loot often and having to determine what to drop is probably not what the player should be spending so much time on.

15 hours ago, Dramolion said:

only find one screen-modus that shows the whole game (windowed, full screen didn't work)

What resolution did work? Is your screen too small to fit the game you mean? (can you use 1920x1080 in windows?) What didnt work with fullscreen? Did you restart after changing the setting?

I haven't figured out how armor worked, and i have no idea what the difference between the varying guns is

All items can be right-clicked in inventory for more info. Weapons differ in what ammo they use, range, damage and many other factors. This is maybe to complex, I'm not sure.

Some units are armoured, most are not. Units take damage depending on if you hit them with normal weapons (most) or piercing weapons. You get info on these ratings when you look at the info on a weapon and hoover the damage-type. This is probably too unclear.

actually having to drop loot often and having to determine what to drop is probably not what the player should be spending so much time on.

Good point. Maybe fewer and more useful drops? Noone likes dealing with trash-items. Im not sure if my model of going from level 1 to level 10 items makes sense since a playthrough is not epicly long anyway.

On 8-9-2017 at 0:51 PM, suliman said:

What resolution did work? I

1024 x 768 worked, other resolutions do not fit on my scren. The game didn't launch in fullscreen, and i had to unpack it again.

And no, i do not have 1920 in windows, the laptop i use is a messy 2nd-hand and has problems with more programmes.

All items can be right-clicked in inventory for more info. Weapons differ in what ammo they use, range, damage and many other factors. This is maybe to complex, I'm not su

Right-clicking worked, only the resources to the left still need to be added, i suggest right-clicking again(anywhere) should close the info-tab.

You get info on these ratings when you look at the info on a weapon and hoover the damage-type. This is probably too unclear.

Agreed, the info that is right now hoover-over should be printed directly onto the info-tab.

Good point. Maybe fewer and more useful drops?

Yes, you  already have a few stackable items(food/ammo) which you can scatter around as much as you like.

m not sure if my model of going from level 1 to level 10 items makes sense since a playthrough is not epicly long anyway.

I guess so, i haven't seen the leveled items.

Is the game supposed to stay shortish though ?

Ow yeah, if it was my game, i would see if i could add different enemies, then again i 'd probably lose the general theme of the game somewhere along the way and i don't know where you're taking this game, but check into the following:

bigger enemies; or even smaller ones but they can't be that much smaller i think, aka how easy to hit they are.

objects like grenades/rockets/suicidebomber that can be spawned(by a grenadier for example), dodged and will self-destruct.

Items do not level, but different items/weapons drop depending on the world level (which is 1-10).

One radical change to simplify inventory management is to not have actual ammo as lootable items. Instead firearms would just loose condition until they are "used up"/empty (lets say five magazines for pistols for example). This is used in "last day" for example on android. It kind of works in a simplistic games.

This would make it easier to broaden the arsenal with semi-auto rifles, grenade launchers etc without flooding the player with loads of different ammo types to handle. Thoughts?

Grenades, suicidebombers, and smaller and bigger enemies are already in there. They start showing up at level 3 i think.

On 10-9-2017 at 3:35 PM, suliman said:

This would make it easier to broaden the arsenal with semi-auto rifles, grenade launchers etc without flooding the player with loads of different ammo types to handle. Thoughts?

True, however these weapons could also be loaded with ammo that 's usable for other weapons;

personally i 'd mix it by making 3 ammo types available(bullets, shells, explosives) and having a few weapons using each,

then keep something like that the crossbow would lose condition upon usage.

I haven't downloaded the alpha (I'm browsing the forum on my phone right now), but looking at the screenshots, I hot one suggestion. I'm guessing "few" zombies is less than "some", but I'm not sure. Maybe you could make it more graphical. Take for instance the network strength indicator on a cell phone. 4 out of 5 bars: ok thats a lot. 1 out of 5 zombie heads? Not so much. Just a suggestion. I like the UI style!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement