🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there such a thing as cheap but quality voice acting?

Started by
14 comments, last by nsmadsen 6 years, 9 months ago
15 hours ago, Armantium said:

Much too expensive. I guess it would be cheaper were it not for hellish taxation, and the huge hidden costs across society of low-IQ immigration(non-European).

???

I can't even really make out what point you're trying to make here, honestly. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement
On 9/26/2017 at 1:07 PM, Armantium said:

Much too expensive. I guess it would be cheaper were it not for hellish taxation

No it wouldn't.

What your paying for is a person who spend there time learning a skill you did not.You are paying them a high amount so they can continue practicing that skill and keep on living.

Remember that for you to even be able to find someone on the net they need a computer, electricity, food and internet. That already means they need to make enough money as a voice actor to earn money for those things.

There are lower priced voice actors, they do smaller jobs for lower pay. The way they make a living is by doing as many jobs as they can in a short time, so one problem you will have with them is that they will not stick to your project the way a more expensive one will. They are freelancers/ modern mercenaries, they go where the money is.

I have been on both sides, hiring and freelancing, it's never easy. Making games isn't easy. If you can't find someone in your price range or your not willing to deal with the problems then you must find a way or abandon voice acting altogether.

In my own experience, there's no such thing as "cheap but quality voice acting"... But of course I believe that, as in everything else, there should be some exceptions... I just wasn't lucky enough to find one of those...

You could try - https://audioboom.com/channel/gamevoices

The cheaper option will always be to find those that have yet to establish themselves in the business and sometimes they're better than those that have.

4 hours ago, ScrooplesTash said:

The cheaper option will always be to find those that have yet to establish themselves in the business and sometimes they're better than those that have.

This can be true! But it can also go the other way. That's the risk element I was mentioning earlier. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement