🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Software for multiple dialog options?

Started by
5 comments, last by Brad_HP 6 years, 8 months ago

I tried using Final Draft, but I don't think it works very well for games with multiple dialog options(like Mass Effect), unless I'm missing something?

I find the easy formatting in One Note much more effective.

Advertisement

You'll need some sort of exporter/converter to get it into a format the engine uses.  You don't say what engine you're using for your game, that is the most important thing you left out I feel.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Armantium, are you just asking about what script format to use (how to layout dialog with branching choices)? You're not asking how to code it, are you? (I assume you're just asking the thing several people have asked before.)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

7 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Armantium, are you just asking about what script format to use (how to layout dialog with branching choices)? You're not asking how to code it, are you? (I assume you're just asking the thing several people have asked before.)

Of course, just the script format. Final Draft has the alt dialog option, but this is useless as  they are hidden and you have to click through them, so the alternate dialog options are not visible when the file is saved as pdf.

You're fine using One Note. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

For a project I'm working on right now, we were writing all of our quests in Twine.  It worked pretty well, except that there wasn't an easy way to get the dialogue into the code. Now one the programmers made a custom tool for us that does it all, but for writing out the story and dialogue and being able to read through and visualize it, Twine was pretty damn good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement