🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there a doctor in the house?

Started by
9 comments, last by Lightness1024 6 years, 4 months ago

It's a bit of a long shot, but this is the only forum I frequent that has the potential to answer my question and I don't feel like registering on a psychiatry forum for one question.

Does anyone know if there's a medical term for the urge to push buttons? Like, physical buttons. Google isn't yielding any useful results and I'm thinking I may have found the one thing shrinks haven't named yet.

Advertisement

If it's overwhelming and accompanied by other behaviors it could be a form of obsessive compulsion, but otherwise I don't think it would be something that has it's own term.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yeah, so far I'm sticking with "button-OCD", but something more professional would make one particular throw-away gag a little funnier.

Button obsession syndrome. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Usually common among toddlers I have observed, but I assume normal adults should've grown out of it.

Disclaimer: not a physician or a psychologist.

Button Obsession Sickness Syndrome, or BOSS.
(I am not a doctor and arbitrarily chose words that would spell "BOSS".)

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Just a point of order, but "obsession" refers to repetitive thoughts. The term "compulsion" refers to repetitive actions.  So, it would be Button Pressing Compulsion Disorder (BPCD) if anything.  Doesn't play as nicely as an acronym but could still get you sympathy at parties ("My wife was diagnosed with BPCD and she keeps pushing for a cure...").

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

On 19-2-2018 at 7:42 AM, alnite said:

but I assume normal adults should've grown out of it

In this instance it concerns a young man who does not blink twice when someone he met in a dumpster tries to fly off a skyscraper using ostrich feathers. "Normal" does not factor into this.

22 hours ago, L. Spiro said:

Button Obsession Sickness Syndrome, or BOSS.
(I am not a doctor and arbitrarily chose words that would spell "BOSS".)

Doctors come up wth boring names. BOSS is boss. I'm gonna see if I can work that in. 

19 hours ago, Bregma said:

("My wife was diagnosed with BPCD and she keeps pushing for a cure...")

I strive to keep a very low pun-cap, but this one's probably gonna make it.

Taking a wild guess, I might think it could be:
  - A desire to be in control of something.
  - An effort to get attention by being a nuisance.
  - An attempt to solve a mystery (all buttons do something, what does this one do?)

I'm figuring, rather than looking for a name for a specific behavior, maybe it'd be more useful to understand the purpose of the behavior.

You need a fidget cube https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidget_Cube (to make your compulsion worse)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement