🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trickjumping in games

Started by
8 comments, last by JoeJ 6 years, 4 months ago

What do you think about trickjumping in games - or games which are heavenly based on this concept?

Which games do you like? Are there enough games for that kind of field?

My answer: I still play quake 3 defrag (A trickjump mod since 2000) regulary and still think there are no game which are equal to its trickjump abilities:

- Strafejumping with multiple ways (Half-beat, Inverted, Side-ways, Forward-only, Backward, etc.)

- Circlejumps

- Air strafing

- Plasma climbing

- Rocket jumps (3x, 4x, 5x, 7x stacked rocks in one place...)

- Overbounces

- Promode is a great addon (Ramping, Stair-jumps, Teleport-Jumps, Bunny-Hopping, Faster in general)

- Its so easy to make maps for (GTKRadiant)

Sure there are games which comes close, but i still think Q3 is the best in trickjump abilitities. Reflex-fps comes close, but lacks a few things...

And there are a hundres of good movies which was made from this mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYbQIsAtlnY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tG9xoyNVzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9IZju7L_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ScsQD92BY

Advertisement

I like trickjumping in games. Reminds me of a friend of mine who was top-ranked back in the Unreal Tournament 2004. He and his buddy were so good at trickjumping that on one CTF map, they would trickjumped from the top of enemy tower back to the home tower to score a point (you are supposed to go back through the middle the crossings).

This is the map:

That kind of move was one way to confuse the opponents. You know your flag is taken, but you don't know where the fuck it is as you are not seeing it crossing through the middle. Instead it's flying right above you at high speed.

32 minutes ago, alnite said:

I like trickjumping in games. Reminds me of a friend of mine who was top-ranked back in the Unreal Tournament 2004. He and his buddy were so good at trickjumping that on one CTF map, they would trickjumped from the top of enemy tower back to the home tower to score a point (you are supposed to go back through the middle the crossings).

That kind of move was one way to confuse the opponents. You know your flag is taken, but you don't know where the fuck it is as you are not seeing it crossing through the middle. Instead it's flying right above you at high speed.

Yeah thats speed-capturing. Really important if you want to be really fast, a lot of modern games does this totally wrong.

With horizontal overbounces in Q3 this gets more insane, for example in q3ctf4 you can capture the flag in around 10 secs normally, but with a good timed rocket and one horizontal OB you get it in third of the time. If you can do such a thing in a professional match without getting fragged you rule that match pretty fast.

I played Q3 LAN for years with friends, later Q3 Arena for some time. I love the physics and the flow of the game. 

But those trick jumping skills never made it up to me. None of them. I tried this quite a few times, looking some video... but i don't get it. 

So what i think is: This stuff is too unaccessible to the average player, badly introduced and too hard to learn. Probably because lots of it was not intended by the developers AFAIK. But this could be improved and reused in actual games.

19 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

I played Q3 LAN for years with friends, later Q3 Arena for some time. I love the physics and the flow of the game. 

But those trick jumping skills never made it up to me. None of them. I tried this quite a few times, looking some video... but i don't get it. 

So what i think is: This stuff is too unaccessible to the average player, badly introduced and too hard to learn. Probably because lots of it was not intended by the developers AFAIK. But this could be improved and reused in actual games.

Partly true, some techniques are pretty hard to learn (circle jumps, plat-strafes, air-strafe). Some are pretty easy if you have a good tutorial - but there was always a lack of tutorials for that stuff or the tutorials was just a pretty showcase... For example, vertical plasma climbing is the easiest thing: stand on a wall, look at the edge between floor and wall but move the cursor above the edge, jump, held down the forward key, starting shooting plasma - without moving the mouse or pushing additional keys at all. After a few minutes everyone can do that. Of course doing it higher, climbing curves, switching sides, etc is more hard...

3 hours ago, Finalspace said:

After a few minutes everyone can do that.

Ok, tried it again using your instructions... but nope. Seems i'm not that everyone :D

A rocket jump was easy even for a lame like me. After some practice I could do rocket-jumps with almost zero health penalty. Bunny hopping was much harder for me but you didn't have a chance even against bots without it.

I agree that many of the consequences of the physics was unintended but most of them was discovered during development and was left (and probably pimped up a bit) in the game for fun.

17 hours ago, JoeJ said:

Ok, tried it again using your instructions... but nope. Seems i'm not that everyone :D

Oh you are right, i missed some important instructions:

The q3 engine has no fixed physics by default, so stable trickjumping will only work when you either set "pmove_fixed" to "1" or change the "com_maxfps" and "sv_fps" to "125". This must be set up in the q3config.cfg or in the console (Tilde key). Then it should work properly... Without this changes, even a bridge to rail jump is extremely hard.

Also you need to press the forward key always, otherwise the plasma knockback will push you back from the wall. If you dont get high enough, just increase the angle more to the wall but just a little bit...

1 hour ago, szecs said:

A rocket jump was easy even for a lame like me. After some practice I could do rocket-jumps with almost zero health penalty. Bunny hopping was much harder for me but you didn't have a chance even against bots without it.

I agree that many of the consequences of the physics was unintended but most of them was discovered during development and was left (and probably pimped up a bit) in the game for fun.

Yeah strafe jumping is pretty much a bug since quake 1, but all this bugs makes this great experience.

45 minutes ago, Finalspace said:

set "pmove_fixed" to "1"

Whooo! It works! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement