🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problem with sleep

Started by
42 comments, last by Anri 6 years, 4 months ago
On 2/19/2018 at 2:28 AM, Luhan M. said:

everyday which I program, I usually do wake up 4-6 times in the night with some kind of "resolution" which I don't even remember what it was about, which makes me wake up in the morning feeling a little tired.

It's not just programming that does this. A lot of my work (I'm not a programmer) involves spreadsheets. The night after working on a big spreadsheet, my dreams are filled with squares and figures, even doing math.  That's what sleep is for. While you sleep, your brain is sorting through the past day's learnings and challenges, choosing where to store the new information and how to cross-connect new and old memories and learnings. But if you're waking up feeling tired, you may simply need more sleep. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
1 minute ago, Tom Sloper said:

But if you're waking up feeling tired, you may simply need more sleep. 

I sleep at least 7 hours everyday, and in the past I tried sleeping more, like between 8~9 hours, but I didn't felt difference, so I settled for 7 to 7:30 hours a day of sleeping.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sloper said:

It's not just programming that does this. A lot of my work (I'm not a programmer) involves spreadsheets. The night after working on a big spreadsheet, my dreams are filled with squares and figures, even doing math.  That's what sleep is for. While you sleep, your brain is sorting through the past day's learnings and challenges, choosing where to store the new information and how to cross-connect new and old memories and learnings

But do you wake up in the middle of the night a lot of times too? Because that is what caused in my experience the feeling of waking up tired.

I ride my bike a lot and for some reason (i been ridin' my bike for 10 years) I sleep very well and even dream about projects that I'm currently or will be working on. I only need 6 hours of sleep. I think getting blood pumping through your veins clears you of toxins which would ultimately lead to stress and problems sleeping. Coding should not compromise sleep - if you get up in the middle of the night you are not sound asleep.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

2 hours ago, Luhan M. said:

But do you wake up in the middle of the night a lot of times too?

Only when I'm feeling anxiety. I don't know of a cure for that!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

5 hours ago, francoisdiy said:

I only need 6 hours of sleep.

How old are you? Age makes a big difference. I could get by on very little sleep right up until my late 20s. After that, I found lack of sleep affecting me more and more. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
23 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

How old are you? Age makes a big difference. I could get by on very little sleep right up until my late 20s. After that, I found lack of sleep affecting me more and more. 

I'm 30. But that's not too old so I would think you are around the same age. Sleep should be a sure thing up until old age. The lack of falling asleep means something is not working right. Doctors won't tell you but it usually means your gut is not producing the necessary neurotransmitters that your brain needs - like melatonin. It is very important to eat vegetables both raw and cooked. That take-out food does none of us good and I don't buy takeout anymore for that reason. Sleep is much less of a problem now than when I was 20 as I would wake up in the middle of the night despite not having stress. I think it was food.

4 minutes ago, francoisdiy said:

Sleep should be a sure thing up until old age.

God, no. I ran on about 5 hours of sleep all the way through grad school. Can't function on much under 8 now that I'm 30.

Lifestyle changes may have as much to do with it as age though - I'm not out partying every night at 30 either :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I

19 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

God, no. I ran on about 5 hours of sleep all the way through grad school. Can't function on much under 8 now that I'm 30.

Lifestyle changes may have as much to do with it as age though - I'm not out partying every night at 30 either :)

I do lead a pretty active lifestyle. I ride my heavy bike everywhere, including to work, and even carry it uphill on the way to places as it is sometimes too muddy or steep to ride up. I also walk quite a bit when not going long distances. I ride in the winter too when it is icy and cold - just as active as I was when I was 20!

2 hours ago, francoisdiy said:

I do lead a pretty active lifestyle. I ride my heavy bike everywhere, including to work, and even carry it uphill on the way to places as it is sometimes too muddy or steep to ride up. I also walk quite a bit when not going long distances. I ride in the winter too when it is icy and cold - just as active as I was when I was 20!

Activity has nothing to do with it. I'm 40 and more active than I've ever been (for reference, I'm doing a half ironman next weekend). In fact, the more active you are as you get older, the more you'll need sleep. l 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
2 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

Activity has nothing to do with it. I'm 40 and more active than I've ever been (for reference, I'm doing a half ironman next weekend). In fact, the more active you are as you get older, the more you'll need sleep. l 

Yeah, but that's once in a while. I'm active all the time. 40 is still not very old. It has to be food. I'm 100% on that. Adding fresh vegetables to your diet makes a huge difference in everything! Like, for example, beets clean you out and make you deal with stress much better even building up confidence!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement