🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

hand over your source code or you get no refund

Started by
23 comments, last by swiftcoder 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi Kylotan,

Yes, if Construct 3 crashes most of the time it creates a crash report.  We also have extensive guidelines on how to properly report bugs:
https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs

For customers who refuse or don't want to fill out proper bug reports in the way we request, it's often easiest for us to request their project to look at instead of a long drawn out forum thread trying to extract details - this takes up valuable developer time.

Up to this point privacy concerns have never been an issue.  And I don't think this customer has made any reasonable efforts here to report the bugs or issues they have encountered at all in a reasonable manner.  Privacy concerns can of course be legitimate, and in such cases we would ask for a smaller stripped down example.  In special instances cases we would consider signing an NDA, but this has not yet been asked of us.

Tom

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Thomas Gullen said:

"Tom here from Scirra, I'm director of the company. ...."

Glad you replied here tom , lets get the facts straight 

1 . You said you are happy to provide refunds , you are not , you are not even close to happy , you claim that on every bug that is mentioned it is someone's else fault and your software is nice , and then you demand that the only way that YOU will think about if your software is faulty is that if someone else hands you over their project , even if someone gives you their source code it is still up to you to decide (according to you) whether you softare is faulty or not.According to law however i am not required to give you any code and its not up to you to decide if your software is faulty.According to law for digital goods you are obliged to issue me a refund .

2. Your refund rate is not below 1 % as can be seen in any other forum besides the forums of your website which you ban people and delete your posts there is a whole community of people who you treated just  like me  ,example https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1421858

3.You said we never had a costumer who didnt hand over their source code,i would be very careful to say what you just said , demanding from people to give you source code and project files is illegal as that is copyrighted material 

4.You have done a gread deal of wrong things not only to me but to other people as well , all the bugs which i faced before asking for a refund had ALREADY been reported by OTHER people in your bugs report page yet you chose to ignore me ,ban my account from your website ,deleted my posts and acted as though i made the bugs out of my mind , the bugs which you denied are already posted here among hundrends of other bugs your software has 

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/580

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/580

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1277

https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1313

5. The very fact that i am still here after so many days without refund without my money and trying to get my money back when it was the exactly next day of purchase that i asked them back says a great deal lot about you . Is this what a person has to endure to get HIS money back ? because dont fool yourself tom , they are not yours the next day i made the purchase i found bugs which would not let me go on, you didnt offer any kind of service to me except waste my time then and now and you certainly dont deserve them

6.i have a deadline, some people tom sometimes just want their tools to work in order for them to be effective , running around and asking people to fix those problems for you is unacceptable, the problem here tom is that you dont want to face the fact that SOMETIMES , when someone has to maintain their schedule and CANNOT do it with your software you have to refund him and let him go on using other companies software .THIS is what you dont want to SEE ACCEPT and come to terms with, that your software is faulty.

7. You said that i should have broken down the project and send you the piece that was faulty.Perhaps you dont understand tom again . Or perhaps you do not want to understand, The whole project file when together is faulty , it wont open in construct 3 and it pops a message Failed to open project. Check it is a valid C3 single-file  just like here tom  https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1291 as it has already been reported , now if i delete for you tom 90% of objects behaviours events and sounds etc and send it to you to investigate it is useless because in that way i can too make it open , the point is to have THE WHOLE project open in construct 3 tom and the WHOLE project is something i will not ever give to you

8 I just remembered at some point you asked me why i dont use firefox instead of chrome , the answer is that contruct 3 in firefox has a different bug which i didnt see reported in github as of now ,the bug is still so severe that i cannot use firefox , the bug is that when i preview whatever of the project is left and opens when the loading bar gets to 100 percent it gets stuck there and wont preview  , say i close the window and try again the same thing happens ,and if i load the project as well the same thing happens which means the only way is that i open the project from a different copy of a file, as you understand that means that the firefox option is also out of the way. Thus chrome is not an option and firefox is not an option too, at Safari the audio doesnt work , that option is also out .

9 . as can be seen in the picture i did reply to you that i could show you the bugs in a video on youtube as they appear , this is something you ignored and circled around again into giving you the source code ..worth to mention

Moderation note: we are not going to host a circular argument here.  GameDev.net has no affiliation with Scirra, and this is not the place to air personal complaints and grievances.

This topic will be closed if things become too aggressive or if the conversation goes in circles.

- Jason Astle-Adams

1 minute ago, jbadams said:

Moderation note: we are not going to host a circular argument here.  GameDev.net has no affiliation with Scirra, and this is not the place to air personal complaints and grievances.

This topic will be closed if things become too aggressive or if the conversation goes in circles.

i have no intention of that happening , our issue is now paypal's thing to resolve i simply replied with facts. Thank you

This is precisely why I don't want to use any commercial game maker or anything like that - even Unity. Once you use them they own your game, code, and assets even if you claim you own your stuff - it's that license crap that's a plug. I think, personally, this is a bunch of bologna and BBQ sauce. I'm doing just as Bagel does - build your own game engine. By the way, is his engine complete? I kind of want to use it for future games.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

1 minute ago, francoisdiy said:

This is precisely why I don't want to use any commercial game maker or anything like that - even Unity. Once you use them they own your game, code, and assets even if you claim you own your stuff - it's that license crap that's a plug. I think, personally, this is a bunch of bologna and BBQ sauce. I'm doing just as Bagel does - build your own game engine. By the way, is his engine complete? I kind of want to use it for future games.

We've always said, and we're proud of the fact, that any game you make in Construct 2 or Construct 3 is entirely your intellectual property.  We take absolutely no ownership over it, no royalties at all etc.  We do not own your game code.

Just to be clear, we do not own your game, code or assets in full or in part, period.

Anyone who voluntarily sends us their game code to help assist us resolve bugs will have their property treated with upmost confidentiality.

I like writing game engine's better. Makes you work hard for what you want and then proud of it later on. Your licenses seem to scare some people, no offends. Let's just leave it at that... ok.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

6 minutes ago, Thomas Gullen said:

We've always said, and we're proud of the fact, that any game you make in Construct 2 or Construct 3 is entirely your intellectual property.  We take absolutely no ownership over it, no royalties at all etc.  We do not own your game code.

Just to be clear, we do not own your game, code or assets in full or in part, period.

Anyone who voluntarily sends us their game code to help assist us resolve bugs will have their property treated with upmost confidentiality.

but when it comes to real life you demand that we give you our game so we can get our money back . somewhat contradicting to what you just said above isnt it ? Thus no handing over the code no refund, and tom ...stop downvoting francoisdiy's posts 

3 minutes ago, francoisdiy said:

I like writing game engine's better. Makes you work hard for what you want and then proud of it later on. Your licenses seem to scare some people, no offends. Let's just leave it at that... ok.

Our licenses do not claim rights to anyone's work created in our engines just so we're clear.  And yes, happy to leave it at that.

And writing game engines is a very ambitious project - you should be proud of it if you manage to do it!  I'm more of a do-it-myself sort of person in some areas as well.

1: Could you stop putting spaces in front of every punctuation mark?  Pretty sure that's one of those things everyone wants to say but no one wants to look like a jerk.  There are no examples of spaces being before the punctuation mark in English, so there is no reason you should have ever picked up such a trait.

2: I haven't read everything, because you care more about making a fuss than solving problems.  Thanks to your motivations, giant walls of text have been created instead of having pursued simple means of solving the problem, such as giving them the frigging project files.

• As was suggested you can strip the project down to something that is not your game but still has the problem.  In the 15,000 days you spent writing the walls of text you could have done this by now.
  • Or you could have written an NDA and had them sign it by now.
  • Or you could have been more realistic about the entire situation and realized that the only thing that will actually happen if you send them your code is that they will find the bug and give you a fix.  Whether or not your game will actually be profitable is a separate issue, but from your behavior you have given absolutely no one the impression that you are sitting on something worth stealing.
    • With proper business sense, not only would you have not come off as an angsty kid who overvalues his or her product (again, speaking only about perceived value, not what value it may actually have), you would have quickly realized that when tech support asks you for investigative data, they are not aiming to rip you off.  Any degree of common sense at all would have made it clear to you that companies that do this don't survive long.  They can't run a business if their thinking is, "Oh boy, our product failed someone; let's steal his code."

The fact that you think corporations are run by evil drug lords says more about you than anything else, and it's hard to have sympathy when you created all of this drama for nothing.  It's not their fault you seem to think all business owners are evil.  That's just something you made up on your own, just like putting spaces before punctuation marks.

francoisdiy, what BagelBytes is doing is something of a practice run.  He doesn't have the experience yet to make something you would want to use in production.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement