🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does CPU clock speed/cores/thread and Ram Freq. Matters?

Started by
6 comments, last by Nio Martinez 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll be buying a new laptop as my workstation for building games, Mostly 3D but not hard core. 

I'm stuck at choosing between these 2 specs below. Does this really matter and if so, can some one tell my how and why it matters. 

Choice1:

Intel core i5-8250U (8th gen Kabylake refresh)(6 MB Smart Cache, 1.6 GHz Base with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz) 4 cores 8 threads

RAM 8 GB DDR4 (2400 MHz)

GPU 2 GB DDR5 Nvidia MX150 256 bit

SSD: yes

Choice2:

Intel core i7-7500U 2.70GHz Base Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz Boost) 2 Cores, 4 Threads

RAM 4 GB DDR4 (1800 MHz)

GPU 2 GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce 940MX 256 bit

SSD: No

Advertisement

If nothing else, I consider 4 GB of memory unacceptable in a modern dev machine. I have a 4 GB surface and it struggles to actually load and build our project due to memory issues. Not struggles to run it - struggles to build it.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
13 minutes ago, Promit said:

If nothing else, I consider 4 GB of memory unacceptable in a modern dev machine. I have a 4 GB surface and it struggles to actually load and build our project due to memory issues. Not struggles to run it - struggles to build it.

Well, noted, thanks for the thought. 

Choice 1 is unequivocally the better machine. It has twice the RAM, twice as many CPU cores, an SSD instead of a slower hard drive, and a GPU that is a full generation newer.

It does have a lower base clock speed, but as long as you are plugged into wall power, that shouldn't make much of a difference.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

17 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Choice 1 is unequivocally the better machine. It has twice the RAM, twice as many CPU cores, an SSD instead of a slower hard drive, and a GPU that is a full generation newer.

It does have a lower base clock speed, but as long as you are plugged into wall power, that shouldn't make much of a difference.

I see, Thanks, so the MX150 is newer than GeForce 950?

2 minutes ago, Nio Martinez said:

I see, Thanks, so the MX150 is newer than GeForce 950?

Yes, the MX150 is Pascal (and roughly equivalent to the desktop GT 1030), the 940MX is the older Maxwell.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

7 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

Yes, the MX150 is Pascal (and roughly equivalent to the desktop GT 1030), the 940MX is the older Maxwell.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.  Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement