🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to save Call of Duty

Started by
15 comments, last by swiftcoder 6 years, 4 months ago
1 hour ago, swiftcoder said:

There are quite literally hundreds of shooters that are definably not call of duty™. I'm not clear why you are so focused on making call of duty into not call of duty, instead of just playing/developing other similar games?

The very line you quoted there says I am exactly NOT doing that.

As for why I don't play other, similar games that are close to what I'm looking for... Who says I don't? The closest I can find are Destiny and Prey (2017), and they're great. But they all lack huge parts of the CoD formula that are worth adding, such as their loadout system and all the customization that brings. And of course, the game modes as well. So I guess, a game with as good of gunplay as mid-late 2000s CoD, not necessarily the same gunplay, with the game modes of a dedicated shooter in addition to a story campaign, and highly customizable CoD-style loadouts, but something new and interesting added that interacts with the gunplay in an important manner and adds actual depth to the game without needing special circumstances rather than just being a throwaway gimmick. Something that has as much impact on the gameplay as the powers, suits and custom robots and such I listed above, though it doesn't have to be at all like that in its actual form, just how much it changes the game. I've seen some pretty good attempts at that, but nothing really ticks all the boxes, you know?

There's two of us on this account. Jeremy contributes on design posts, Justin does everything else, including replying on those threads. Jeremy is not a people person, so it's Justin you'll be talking to at any given time.

Aelsif's Patreon.

Advertisement
2 hours ago, JLW said:

The closest I can find are Destiny and Prey (2017)... But they all lack huge parts of the CoD formula that are worth adding, such as their loadout system and all the customization that brings

See, I would describe Destiny as basically the least-CoD shooter of the year. It's all the way to the Halo end of the spectrum (unsurprisingly, since it's developed by Bungie). It's slow paced, it has the very high and floaty jumps, it has extremely high time-to-kill because of everyone having shields...

Something like Titanfall 2 follows the CoD formula very closely, by comparison. It's fast paced, very low time-to-kill, there are configurable loadouts... all the bells and whistles.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

7 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

See, I would describe Destiny as basically the least-CoD shooter of the year. It's all the way to the Halo end of the spectrum (unsurprisingly, since it's developed by Bungie). It's slow paced, it has the very high and floaty jumps, it has extremely high time-to-kill because of everyone having shields...

Something like Titanfall 2 follows the CoD formula very closely, by comparison. It's fast paced, very low time-to-kill, there are configurable loadouts... all the bells and whistles.

I get that. I'm not saying Destiny is like CoD, or that it should be, or that the game I'd be interested in seeing even SHOULD be on the CoD end of gunplay (I'm more of a Halo guy myself on that), but having at least that *quality* of gun play, regardless of its exact form, and having CoD's signature game modes (wouldn't mind Halo's signature game modes as well) such as its non-story co-op mission modes, and especially having highly customizable loadouts like CoD has had since Modern Warfare 1, that's the parts of CoD that would be great to see in a good, fresh game. And if the combat is either super fast-paced and twitchy like CoD and Battlefield or slow-paced and tactical like Halo, I'm happy either way.

I'll have to check out Titanfall again. I've got a friend who has it and Infinite Warfare, but unfortunately it's Titanfall I and I'm a little strapped for cash post-surgery. By which I mean over $35,000 in debt because of my friggin' appendix.

There's two of us on this account. Jeremy contributes on design posts, Justin does everything else, including replying on those threads. Jeremy is not a people person, so it's Justin you'll be talking to at any given time.

Aelsif's Patreon.

5 hours ago, JLW said:

I'm a little strapped for cash post-surgery. By which I mean over $35,000 in debt because of my friggin' appendix.

That’s disgraceful. Your country is so fucked up. It should be embarrassed to call itself a first world nation, let alone the worlds biggest economy. 

Back on topic, have you tried the new DOOM? Best shooter I’ve played in years  

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
1 hour ago, ChaosEngine said:

Back on topic, have you tried the new DOOM? Best shooter I’ve played in years  

Yes, yes I have. And it's fantastic, but not what I'm looking for here.

Aelsif's Patreon.

1 hour ago, JLW said:

but not what I'm looking for here

Which is what, exactly? Your description of features/setting sounds more like an RPG along the lines of recent Mass Effect or Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement