🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Starting in Videogame Music

Started by
3 comments, last by TheA 6 years, 3 months ago

Hi there!

Well, as the subject describes itself. I would like to start in videogame music and composition.

I do know some Music Theory and have some notions on how to play the piano, and also in my Degree we have some subjects refered to Sound and Music, but I would like to go a little bit deeper.

Anyway, I'd like to know if it there is any site, course, or bibliography refered to all of this, even if it starts from the basic of the basics. Also would be interesting if it is there any good reference to study all the software related to the theme.

It would be great if anyone could give me some advice, because now I am a little bit lost.

Thank you!

Advertisement

musictheory.net is a wonderful place to start learning and what also helped me out was downloading midi files and picking them apart and seeing what was going on, but past that there's not really anything I can help you with, it's a process and it takes quite a long time to get good at music, but it's quite a fun journey! 

This guy also helped quite a bit: https://www.youtube.com/user/CrimsonAzure7

The best thing you can do, aside from getting as good as you can get at music composition and production, is to learn how video games are put together. Learn the systems, limitations and tools used to create games (and their audio) then start to put those ideas to work. There are all kinds of resources out there - spend some time downloading middleware such as FMOD and Wwise - watch tutorials on Youtube about both and begin to put your music together in such a way that a video game developer could use them. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Middleware is definitively something you need to be prepared to use and before that learn the basics of video games music: how to create loops, layers, stingers and implement them on Unreal/Unity.

Audiokinetic has a great YouTube channel with a good tutorial that will help you implementing music.

Composer - Sound Designer
www.sonoracinematic.com
My Reel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement