🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The games called "masterpieces"

Started by
12 comments, last by frob 6 years, 3 months ago

I created this topic with the intention to see the different opinions about some of those games, because I've been trying some of them, and I've to say that, most of them were really disappointing in various aspects. For example, I finished the first Bioshock and felt that the game was really cool in the beginning, but it declines very fast in the way that the atmosphere is lost after some time, and the story is weak, the "Would you kindly" part was interesting, but only that didn't hold the game for me, especially when you're helping "Atlas" and Ryan says that you actually do not know his interests, because of that I was already waiting for what would happen in the future.

So, What're your experience with some of those games that are so acclaimed by the majority of people as "masterpieces"?

PS: Your opinion about using such label for games is welcome as well.

Advertisement

To each his own. One man's trash is another's treasure. Etc, etc.

Yea, some games you will just bounce off and others you will take a liking to. I find that most of the AAA stuff is too handholdy and simplistically linear to be solid games, but others who just want a 'controllable movie' experience love them.

Also, these 'masterpiece' labels are fairly meaningless without context. Don't get caught up in the hype and be an advocate for a company that can do no wrong.

13 minutes ago, ddengster said:

To each his own. One man's trash is another's treasure. Etc, etc.

I do agree with that, everyone has his own tastes, but what annoys me is that the games I've been playing were pratically unnanimously acclaimed by people, even in forums more dedicate to people that believe games can be more than just spending time. And when I played them, there was so many flaws that you keep playing to see if the game gets better, but don't happens.

17 minutes ago, ddengster said:

Also, these 'masterpiece' labels are fairly meaningless without context. Don't get caught up in the hype and be an advocate for a company that can do no wrong.

Most of the games I'm playing they're a little old, so it's not because of hype, but more because of the immense amount of positive reviews. I check reviews of players, and when the majority says the game is good, for me atleast, even if you don't like the game, you should have the sensation that the game is good, but unhappily isn't for you.

My personal oppinion about that is that there are not that much games which fall into the category "masterpiece" and each person has its own notion about a "master-piece". I define a masterpiece simply by the fact that i can play this games over and over again and still have a great time with it.

I have a small personal favorite lists of games which i consider a "master-piece":

- Beyond Two Souls

- Life is strange

- Ori and the blind forest

- Secret of Mana

- Zelda a link to the past and Ocarina of time

- Quake 3 Arena (DeFrag mod only)

2 hours ago, Finalspace said:

I define a masterpiece simply by the fact that i can play this games over and over again and still have a great time with it

That's a good definition, I think I didn't find yet a game which I could play it again and still have fun, besides some genre of games which are designed with that in mind, such as roguelike, mmo, etc.

Traditionally "masterpiece" refers almost exclusively to skill in execution (originally, a masterpiece was a craftsman's demonstration of skill to gain entrance to a guild). As such I'd argue that a masterpiece game isn't necessarily one with great replay-ability, nor even one that is fun, but more one that is crafted with exquisite care/precision.

I'd make a pitch for La Noire in that category. It's has a beautifully crafted world that evokes the genre and era, the storytelling is tight, the actors are recognisable from their film/TV roles...

Mass Effect 2, maybe. It's by far the most polished of the Mass Effect games, but it also has a focus on the individual stories that defies the series space opera roots.

There are more than a few mobile games that have a claim on the category. Monument Valley and Alto both have such gorgeous aesthetics, and such simplicity of game mechanics... they feel crisp and impactful from start to finish.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

A gaming masterpiece is not faultless, no matter what the game.

Castlevania: SOTN is the finest entry in the Castlevania series, but it suffers from being too easy.  However, the game makes up for it with its large open world where the player never lacks for things to do, as well as being bloody awesome.  Its voice acting and dialogue is so bad its highly hilarious.

Lords of Midnight successfully managed to blend adventure with war gaming, in a world similar to Lord of the Rings. It proved the completely underpowered ZX Spectrum could still produce a timeless gaming experience suited to the machine's unique visual style.  Sadly, its lack of a map could leave the player in the dark as to where they were in the game's world.

Tie Fighter is undoubtably one of the finest space combat sims of all time, but some of its levels were broken under certain circumstances, which could stop you from meeting that bonus mission requirement.  Its story, told from the Empire's perspective was not to every Star Wars fan's taste, and the arms race of more powerful craft could feel too distant from its source material and would take away the strategic value of more traditional ships such as the standard Tie Fighter and Y-Wing.

Super Metroid is considered the definitive Metroid game and one of the greatest games of all time, but its not always obvious where to go next.  Sometimes the controls can be a little too fiddly in certain spots - the wall jump for example.

Doom obviously conquered the gaming world for all time, but despite being amazing, there were signs that id was beginning to slide away from the "cheerful fun" found in previous id games such as Commander Keen and Wolfenstein3D.  "Colourful, fast and fun" was now starting become "desolate, cautious and nasty".  Needless to say Doom will always be one of the greatest landmarks in games history( probably the most significant ), but this direction would lead to increasingly slower and duller id games by placing technology over design.

I personally think Super Mario Bros( actually, lets just say every traditional Mario game ) has dreadful controls and is an experience in frustration resulting in joypads being launched across the room.  The remaining population of planet Earth think I'm a heretic and have already set alight a bonfire with my name on it.  Hold on,  theres the sound of people shouting and blood hounds yapping outside my front door...I guess Mario games are masterpieces after all!

Anyway, a "masterpiece" is a smooth blend between visuals, audio, gameplay and design.  It doesn't always have to push the boundries of a machine or be original, just needs to be a damn good overall experience, enough so where the player is more than happy to overlook its faults..

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

For me materpieces were games that made me want to learn new coding techniques. They were not necessarily fun games or good games, but I appreciate the programming craftsmanship that went into them:

* Comanche - Very detailed terrain. Amazing voxel graphics in a game*

* Another world - First time I saw good polygon graphics with animations

* StarControl2 - Amazing music from my PC speaker. Very open ended game, but still has a great story. A shining gem of game design. (First game I played with both an open, a "cinematic quality" story, and lot's of variance in ship design)

* Second Reality - A demoscene demo (not a game), but was amazing to see what my 486 could do in real time. Got me to learn assembly language to see what I could hack my computer into doing.

* Betrayal at Krondor- First time I felt I was playing in a "living breathing" 3d world.

* Wolfenstein3D - The first time I experienced arcade play with 3D graphics. I never got why Doom is considered such a milestone. It is the better game, but I didn't get that "Oh Wow! I can't believe this is possible" moment that I got with Wolfenstein3D.

* Under a killing moon: High resolution 3D environments with "photo-realistic" textures.

* Warcraft 3 - Highest production value I experienced in a game. Amazing story, and very immersive. Might be funny to claim this, but I see this as the predecessor of "Modern Warfare"

* GTA 3 - This is the game that set the tone for all open-world 3D games to follow. Assasins Creed, Oblivion, etc...

* Crysis - First massive use of elaborate Shaders in a game.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

- Ultima 6

- Final Fantasy 7

- To The Moon

Ultima is for world building ,characters and interactivity.

FF is for storyline. 

To The Moon was attention grabber. It's the only game that I played that kept me coming back for more that I finish it as soon as possible. It was during extended holiday, and it was fun.

23 hours ago, SillyCow said:

* Wolfenstein3D - The first time I experienced arcade play with 3D graphics. I never got why Doom is considered such a milestone. It is the better game, but I didn't get that "Oh Wow! I can't believe this is possible" moment that I got with Wolfenstein3D.

* Warcraft 3 - Highest production value I experienced in a game. Amazing story, and very immersive. Might be funny to claim this, but I see this as the predecessor of "Modern Warfare"

Had to admit, Wolf3D really took alot of us by surprise back in the day.  One minute we were slobbering over 2D arcade games and console mascots, and then this game comes along and actually puts us inside the game, fighting for survival at breakneck speed. Felt like Gauntlet in 3D.

WC3, is a banging game! Somehow its visual design holds up even today.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement