🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The games called "masterpieces"

Started by
12 comments, last by frob 6 years, 3 months ago
2 hours ago, Anri said:

WC3, is a banging game! Somehow its visual design holds up even today.

I nam waiting with bated breath for the inevitable remaster.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

By the traditional definition "masterpiece" also implies that it is the "signature game" of an "artist of a designer".  Dungeons & Dragons (Gary Gygax), Star Fleet Battles (Steve Cole), Civilization (Sid Meier), Sim City (Will Wright).  Those are the classic definitions of a "masterpiece" in my view, by the most strict definition of the term.

Avalon Hill's Advanced Squad Leader is the first too come to my mind that breaks that mold.  It is the "masterpiece" of Avalon Hill as a company, and not any one designer.  By the strictest definition, no one designer or company could ever have more than one "masterpiece".

If, as in this thread, you just define it as "any really great game", than it loses some of it's meaning and quickly grows into a much larger list.

"I wish that I could live it all again."

I agree that generally the "masterpiece" items are the ones that break away from what is typical in the era.  

It can break away by starting a new genre, it can break away by offering qualities far beyond the current state of the art, it can break away by offering a substantially different element that has major appeal.  

I disagree about having multiple masterpieces. Creating one product that breaks the mold is hard.  The odds of creating a second are quite low, it is rare, but it could still happen.

John Carmack is one such example. He broke the mold with the Commander Keen series with major innovation the 2D side scroller for the era, using the hardware as never seen before and impressing millions.  He broke the mold again introducing the first person shooter in Wolfenstein 3D which was revolutionary for the era with advanced graphics. And again he astonished the world with Doom which was revolutionary for the era and pushed systems to their limits, and slightly less of a defining masterpiece with Quake which was amazing and introduced many multiplayer online game modes but was not quite revolutionary for the era. After radically shifting gears, he made defining contributions to this era's VR landscape and the Oculus VR system.

Richard Grariot was another, with the first major electronic D&D game in 1977, then with the genre-creating Ultima series, and to a lesser extent his leading role with City of Heros/Villains. Either 2 or 3 depending on how you count it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement