🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cryptocurrency in games

Started by
8 comments, last by bimbinikris 6 years, 3 months ago

Hello! I was looking around the internet for topics and articles about cryptocurrencies like Bitcoins, Etherium, etc.
I stumbled upon some websites showing off games where you can invest/buy monsters and pet using cryptocurrencies and you can engage in combat, buying, selling, trading, etc. with other players online.
Some examples of these types of games are Bitpet, Cryptopet, World of Ether.
It's like the same concept with mining coins but gives people (mostly gamers who invest, I guess) a certain game factor in mining.
What do you guys think about this overall? May I have your opinions? I personally like the unique concept in it but I have yet to try it out.
Thanks for your inputs.

Advertisement
5 hours ago, bimbinikris said:

I personally like the unique concept in it but I have yet to try it out.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/cloud/library/cl-ibm-blockchain-101-quick-start-guide-for-developers-bluemix-trs/index.html

This is where to start but before that you need to learn networking code.

5 hours ago, bimbinikris said:

What do you guys think about this overall?

I thought about it for my own games and then realized how dumb that is. In game currency isn't currency at all; it's just score. If a Player loses thousands they can just contact you to fix it where with a cryptocurrency it causes problems.

There is just no use I could think off for cryptocurrency in games, I also tried very hard because making one ended up being easy to do. I used a low level encryption to make it usable ingame.

Thank you for your reply and help.

I might just check out Bitpet to see what it is about, though. I find the pets rather cute. (sorry if I sound like a sucker) Not investing too much yet anyway! Not losing anything if it does end up badly.

Update: Bitpet seems like a great game to invest BTC and ETH in. Anyone else tried it?

On 3/19/2018 at 2:49 AM, bimbinikris said:

Anyone else tried it?

Really doubt that, Cryptocurrency is already a gray zone. There is nothing preventing the developer from just taking all the invested money for themself.

Cryptocurrency doesn't add anything to the game and the game doesn't contribute to the currency; so most people will just ignore it as a gimmick. There are millions of better pet games on the net.

10 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Cryptocurrency doesn't add anything to the game and the game doesn't contribute to the currency; so most people will just ignore it as a gimmick. There are millions of better pet games on the net.

I understand what you mean but what I meant to say specifically was some game devs are now taking advantage of the mining hype so they make games that revolve around cryptocurrencies that you can also gain or lose profit in real life. The pets represent the bitcoins themselves and are registered in the Blockchain. xD
But yeah I agree about some being just gimmicky. Thanks for all your inputs so far.

I have put about 15 seconds worth of thought into this. I am 100% against having anything to do with cryptocurrency in any way with my games. I don't believe in the concept, I don't think it's necessary, and I don't want to deal with the headache of any overhead costs associated with it. I'll stick to doing doing business in dollars, thank you very much.

I think cryptocurrencies actually fit the definition of a multiplayer game better than a currency.

software to install

many players

rules

winners and losers

lots of clones

uses gpu's

unregulated

bots

if i said all those terms and asked you to tell what i was talking about you would say "multiplayer video game"

On 3/29/2018 at 9:08 PM, RivieraKid said:

I think cryptocurrencies actually fit the definition of a multiplayer game better than a currency.

software to install

many players

rules

winners and losers

lots of clones

uses gpu's

unregulated

bots

if i said all those terms and asked you to tell what i was talking about you would say "multiplayer video game"

That's a cool way to think about it haha.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement