🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Have you ever had your game idea stolen?

Started by
21 comments, last by SRich867 6 years, 1 month ago
On 4/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, Corbbin Goldsmith said:

I'm building out a game idea, with nearly every interaction laid out and planned, I will be building it soon, but I need to know what generally tends to happen when you release it too soon. Has anyone ever had their game idea completely stolen? If so, what was your experience?

People are always stealing my ideas...

Often before I've even had the idea.

On a more serious note; ideas are really nothing. You don't buy or use an idea. You buy or use the implementation or materialisation of an idea.

Advertisement
On 5/1/2018 at 2:38 AM, grumpyOldDude said:

Anyways this mega team wisely nicks your ideas, up to your future release plans, add some of their cosmetics stuff - with >50 developers and no problems with funds, they have no problems at all making your full optimised ideas in no time. 

You can't 'nick' an idea. That is absurd as a notion. An idea is the coalescing of countless variables, both internal and external. How can one claim or hold an idea as one's own? I've had this idea, I forbid anyone else from having it?

You can steal code, drawings, written plans or strategies, etc. You can't steal an idea because no one can exclusively possess an idea, nor can they control what another person are going to think.

What about the other way around? Every time you discuss your idea in detail, you plant stolen goods into someone else's mind...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement