🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

most important books that teach game design fundamentals

Started by
4 comments, last by Captain_Marty 6 years, 1 month ago

hi.

I'm a programmer that I want to learn about game design fundamentals.

as you may know there are lots of books that most of them teach the same thing. I want to know what are must to read and most important books that teach game design rules and fundamentals. 

Advertisement

"A Theory of Fun for Game Design" by Raph Koster

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell is very good.

Online, check out Daniel Cook's blog Lost Garden.  If you click "essays" at the top of the page and check the links for "worth reading" and "science of game design" you'll likely find interesting content.

Hope that helps! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

thanks my friends. these books are great. but what about level and environment design? is there any good reference for level design?

thanks my friends. these books are great. but what about level and environment design? is there any good reference for level design?

On 5/5/2018 at 1:53 AM, moeen k said:

Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design by Scott Rogers will teach you a thing or two about level design. It's definitely worth a read.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement