🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FreeRoll skill game with real cash prize legality

Started by
2 comments, last by michele bini 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I'm developing a puzzle game for mobile and web.

While I know that offering skill game competition with real money buyin and cashout is hard to set up for legal reasons and each state/country has its own regulation,

is not clear to me what happens if I offer cash prizes without asking any money to optin.

So the question is: "can I safely create freerolls competition where I give out cash or real prizes to top performer?"

I'd do it just for marketing reasons and so it'd be for small amount of money

I'm just a developer, I know a almost nothing about gaming low. 

Anybody can give some advice?

thanks

Advertisement
54 minutes ago, michele bini said:

So the question is: "can I safely create freerolls competition where I give out cash or real prizes to top performer?"

Prizes is acceptable but only if coins can't be bought with money. That is your giving prices away for free. But check with a actual lawyer.

Anything else who knows? After this case: https://youtu.be/vOt68pLgD4s

It now looks like in the future any game where currency can be bought with real money and has a chance element can be considered gambling. Especially with players demanding Loot Boxes need to be put under gambling laws.

If the terms restricting Loot Boxes is too small it won't please players because developers will just exploit loop holes, if it is to broad it could make any game a gambling game as enemies in games do drop loot with a chance factor and games must be bought.

The short is: Get a Gambling license, also get the right one. Talk to a lawyer, advice on a forum isn't a legal defense.

You could need a gambling license for things you didn't even consider. For example a Trading Card Game where players can really trade cards must be licensed.

Great and quick Answer! tanks a lot.

I'll talk to a lawer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement