🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Could I get feedback for my portfolio =)

Started by
1 comment, last by Liacart 6 years ago

Hi all

I have Just finished MENG Games Design Course at Staffordshire University and I am looking to get my first job in the game industry this is my portfolio https://www.artstation.com/deablos

and I would like to get some feedback.

Many Thanks

Masood Hussain

Advertisement

Hey!
It looks pretty decent so far, but there are some things I would look out for in the future.

The first thing that caught my attention is that it's not really clear which content is made by you and which content is used from a library or made by someone else. For example in your submission "Character Design Lord Drakos and Sir Marrok" I definitely recognize some of these assets from libraries, and it's generally really hard to judge what exactly it is you are showing us with that post. What did you make? What is your work?
If you apply at a company they will put a lot of value in knowing what exactly you were responsible for in a project. There is absolutely no shame in writing down what you needed help with and who helped you, and it really helps the recruiters know where your specialties lie.

Now regarding the art itself: 
Everything looks very busy, in my opinion. I don't really know where to look. In general I'd try to reduce details a little bit and put more value in the overall silhouette of an asset, aswell as composition of the entire scene.
Another thing is that almost all the bright contrasts come from light sources - create some contrast within the assets themselves, they don't need to all be black, even if you want to portray a dark environment. I'm mostly talking about the Jade station here.
Regarding that work aswell: The scaling doesn't make sense to me. You have a character in there, but the textures and assets are all scaled to make a much smaller impression. So it doesn't really add up.

Here's an easy fix for one of your submissions: The Dragon - use a different Matcap. This current one makes it look way too busy.

In general I would suggest this: Update the descriptions of your works so it's clear what exactly you worked on in which project, and give according credit to everything you didn't make. This is just to create clarity on what your skillset is.
Everything else I'd leave the way it is now, other than the Dragon, of which I'd take new screenshots with a different Matcap. 

I'm sure this portfolio can land you an internship or even a junior position in a small local studio. Once you did some work there you'll have a newer and improved portfolio anyways, so I wouldn't worry too much about this first one.

I hope this didn't sound too negative, overall you're on a very good way! Good job and keep going!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement