🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Action Art, Wondering

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years ago

I am enjoying programming in C++.  Now I am curious about graphics after playing the older 3D action game Half-Life.  What are the solutions for creating 3D action art for someone who is artistic and has a good eye but doesn't use software to create art that works in a game like this.

Is there plenty of art out there to work with and use?

What is the recommended software and is it an engine?  What is recommended for me; I want to program primarily but would like to dabble in art such as 3D walls, etc.  Perhaps there are construction kits or something.

Wondering,

Josheir

Advertisement
On 6/2/2018 at 10:37 PM, Josheir said:

3D action art for someone who is artistic and has a good eye but doesn't use software to create art that works in a game like this.

If you have some art skills picking up 3D modeling will be very fast for you. However besides practicing I don't think there is really any other solutions.

Is there plenty of art out there to work with and use?

There is a lot of 3d art available in stores and such, however nothing consistent enough to make a full game from. The Unity asset store and Turbo squid has good models to buy.

Search "free 3D models" and see what you get, there should at least be a few diamonds in the rough.

What is the recommended software and is it an engine?  What is recommended for me; I want to program primarily but would like to dabble in art such as 3D walls, etc.  Perhaps there are construction kits or something.

Blender https://www.blender.org/ is the what I recommend. It isn't easy to learn but because it is free professional quality software, it is used a lot and has fantastic resources for learning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement