🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fastest code

Started by
6 comments, last by Julio 24 years, 5 months ago
I was wondering which compiler compiled the fastest code: Microsoft Visual C++, Borland C++ Builder, or Watcom. Are there any other compilers that you think compile faster code?
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Advertisement
From these compilers, VC++ 6.0 will generate the fastest code.
By now the fastest compiler is the Intel C/C++ Compiler 4.0.

Thanks,

blazter
Thanks,blazter
The fastest most optimizing compiler in the world is the one between your ears. (quoted from Michael Abrash, co-author of the quake engine, in his book "Graphics Programming Black Book")

The Intel compilers are probably the best with Visual C++ 6.0 coming in a close second.
The Intel compiler is faster even in Windows?! Damn! I need to get it! I''m still using Visual C++ 4.0. I bet that''s the slowest compiler you can get.
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.
so how much does this Intel compiler cost? and where could I find it? (just curious)
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
To my knowledge the only way to get it is to buy Intel''s VTune package. It''s about $430. Go to www.intel.com/vtune to see what it''s all about.

www.gameprojects.com - Share Your Games and Other Projects
Actually you can download a demo version of the compiler from the Intel''s site.
The demo version is full functional.
Thanks,blazter
btw, from what I''ve heard, you can plug the Intel compiler into Visual C++, so you still get VC++''s excellent IDE. Pretty cool, IMO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement