🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are RPG's getting soft?

Started by
22 comments, last by UrMomDotCom 22 years, 6 months ago
I think the best RPG''s were old school. Think about it, new fresh, compelling. From Chrono to FF 1-3. Am i wrong?? Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get drunk all the time and have the time of your life.
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get drunk all the time and have the time of your life. ;)
Advertisement
I must say Chrono Trigger is one of the best rpg''s of all time. But FF 3 is good too. The rpg''s today don''t have good stories and gameplay. You are right!
Graphics and Demos sell apparently, so most RPGs now are just out to "look good". I think there is some backlash to the graphics though, some of the games out and coming out have more developed stories and gameplay

R.
I motion that developers have become preoccupied with graphical beauty for RPGs. I recall an excellent example of a game with entirely average 2D graphics, which carried a story that pained me with it''s brilliance - Alundra for PS1. But do not correlate graphical genius with lacking stories, what must be remembered is that graphical engines are merely a tool to extend a vision to an audience, and as such, depending on implementation, they may help or hinder the final result.

I think that demos are more damaging to the arrangement of a storyline though. Demos require a ''tasting'' of what is to come, and some developers can''t resist giving away too much of their plots to prospective players in the hope of attracting an audience. This is parallel to movie trailers that reveal too much of the plot and ruin it.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
you need people like j.k.rowling if you want to create a good story

genius are difficult to find, especially in a low pay game industry who does not honour the story writer
Exactly, the story writer! What a pity it is they don''t get much credit. Granted, some narrow-minded people say, "Who cares about the story? I just want to spill blood." In the case of an RPG, though, a good plot makes the game. There have been more games than I could count that I think a good book to follow the game written by the person who thought up the concept of the game would be great.

----
Herb M. (Lord Flashfire)
s3202@attbi.com
----Herb M. (Lord Flashfire)s3202@attbi.com
I wouldn''t say that the number of good RPGs/year has dropped, but that there are so many games beeing pumped out, its often difficult to find the good games in mass of mediocre titles.

Baldurs Gate and Baldur''s Gate II were kick-ass RPGs. I haven''t found one I''ve liked as much since, but I also haven''t been playing a ton of games lately.

Onimushi, the much hyped "RPG" for the PS2, was truly miserable. Beautiful graphics though. Still miserable.
Visit my web site."I came, I saw, I coded."
While Shenmue has a great story. Thats a great game, altough it''s not quite a rpg. anyone played it? If you haven''t you should!
It is my opinion that even though Baldur''s Gate I was great, the rest were not very good. This is more from a point of view that the developers have not improved upon the initial game design and technology used in the engines that ran these games, and I do thing that those engines require plenty of improvement.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
quote: Original post by Sausie
While Shenmue has a great story. Thats a great game, altough it''s not quite a rpg. anyone played it? If you haven''t you should!

I don''t agree that Shenmue has a great story...It''s fairly average and predictable...but it was told fairly well and from within a great gameplay package...I spent the first six hour or so just looking around at everything...mucho detail...but until the story really starts to pick up (about mid-way through the second disk) it sorta drags

I do think Shenmue IS a RPG...most definatly...I''ve grown so tired of the usual RPG trappings (elves, dragons, magic, etc..) that it is very refreashing to play a RPG that takes place entirely in the (near) modern world of Japan circa 1986. I only wish the game was more successful so as to inspire more gamedevelopers to explore things outside of the typical Tolkeen/D&D fantasy and/or futurestic setting they so, SO often use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement