🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are RPG's getting soft?

Started by
22 comments, last by UrMomDotCom 22 years, 6 months ago
This is gonna be kinda related,
I think a large problem is that some of it has lost its magic.
Magic as in that exhiliration you feel when exploring
something new and different and you open up to wonder and
excitement, you know, that kind of magic.
The past couple of days I''ve seen two documentaries on the
making of "The Lord of the Rings" movie trilogy, and in at least
one there was a sentiment that Tolkein created cultures,
peoples, and history. The magic went out because we''ve lost
that connection, the understanding of what it means for a
character to be an elf or a dwarf or whatever.
Anyone who plays Magic: The Gathering should understand this
perfectly, a one-one creature is a one-one creature regardless
of what you call it. The names are only useful if you''re
making a theme deck.

Create.
Advertisement
quote:
To me, old school = pre-video game crash of 1983-84...still remember those days...The arcades were full of games like Galaxian, Donkey Kong, it''s sequal Donkey Kong Jr, Zoo Keeper, and one of my favorite games of all time: Robotron (Smash TV was a pale imitation )

Nonono...SmashTV was the spiritual successor to Robotron (and Total Carnage to it), just as Strikeforce was spiritual successor to Defender & Stargate. No ripping off going on there.

BIG MONEY, BIG PRIZES! I LOVE IT!

-scott
(Yes, I''m proud to have a pre-Pleasure Dome-rev SmashTV board in my collection...)
scaught - no ripping off. Robotron and SmashTV was designed by the same guy (who also designed Defender)...I just liked Robotron much better...all enemies were on the sceen at once (they didn''t keep comeing through the doors)...plus "save the family" provided some interesting game play (that "big money and prizes" couldn''t) such as the Robotron brain characters turning the humans they touched into those zombie like cruise missles...Robotron was every bit as intense (if not more so then SmashTV) but each level didn''t drag on and on (more stuff comeing through the doors, etc..) so those little 2 or 3 second breaks between levels came more often allowing the player to take a quick breath before continueing (I always got exausted playing SmashTV)...your right it is the spiritual successor...but I don''t think it was a good...but thats just my opinion

Borngamer - I never was into the Ultima series...heck I wasn''t really into RPG video games until the NES came out...so in that light, I''m like some of these younger people on these boards (old school = FF1-3, etc.)...and, no offense to anyone, the whole D&D midevil fantasy type stuff really doesn''t apeal to me...at least in "pure" form...add in some other fantasy elements (steam powered mechs, cyberspace, etc..) as in Shadowrun (and much of the Japanise RPGs like Final Fantasy) and I''m game.
quote: Original post by MSW

...add in some other fantasy elements (steam powered mechs, cyberspace, etc..) as in Shadowrun (and much of the Japanise RPGs like Final Fantasy) and I''m game.

Ever played Terranigma on the SNES? that game has you playing through mankinds history, truly awesome. It''s not technically an rpg more action/rpg.

Does anyone remember Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement