🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Evolving neural networks

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 7 months ago
On 8/5/2018 at 11:59 PM, Nypyren said:

Sometimes developers also try to make their own lives easier - perhaps they can't get access to motion capture equipment.  If NNs are easier and more well-understood for your team than mocap, by all means use them.

yeeeah, I guess I didn't consider that, that's a good point. Idk, mocap equipment isn't as elusive in price as it you used to be, no? I mean, you can do some pretty legit stuff with an array of kinect cameras under a grand. Sure, nowhere near AAA quality, but that's out of scope in 90% of cases here anyways i'd imagine. 

Advertisement

Neural Networks are for machine learning right?  I guess you could use them to create an increasingly fit AI which learns the players behaviour patterns and how best to counter them.

Game AI always gets stale once you understand how its working, an evolving AI would be more exciting to compete against with more unpredictability if used with an evolutionary algorithm which would introduce random mutations in behaviour.

You're gonna want to understand NNs a bit better before you make a claim like that.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Necro. Locking thread. Start a new thread if there is something new that needs saying.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement