🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online Tournament Timings? How is it done/Calculated?

Started by
1 comment, last by Mussi 5 years, 10 months ago

Hi! 

How do you calculate tournament timings in online games? For example, if it's morning here (everyone is awake) and if it's night on the other side of the planet (everyone is asleep), then how do you let players all around the world play the tournament? Is it that players have to select their country before starting a game and accordingly the tournament is created for each nation depending on their time zone? Can you give me some examples of games using different methods, if any?

I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask here? Even I'm not sure if I asked the right question?

Thanks!

Advertisement

I believe Blizzard games have 3 regions to choose from Americas, Asia and Europe. As a player you can choose to play in any of them, no matter where you live, but most players will choose a region that favors their ping and/or timezone. In their Battle.Net app you get too choose one of the regions before launching the game, data is not shared between regions.

The tournaments that they host are mostly region based, they probably pick a time that suits most people in that region. For large global tournaments they can take the top teams from every region and fly them over to a single location.

Is that what you were looking for?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement