🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

F-71 Talon: A Sci-Fi Stealth Fighter (WIP)(Feedback Appreciated!)

Started by
34 comments, last by 1024 5 years, 9 months ago
14 hours ago, 1024 said:

Remember that the Ho-229 was designed to be a bomber in the first place :) 

I didn't know that...for some reason I thought it was a fighter. :D

13 hours ago, LorenzoGatti said:

The Horten 229 (presumably small, fast and stable enough to show promise as a fighter) appears to have reasonable engines (below the wings, with a large indentation to avoid the exhaust), a significant positive dihedral angle, and a thick and bulbous fuselage.

I think this design falls in the gap of relative ugliness between large and elegant flying wing designs with an iconic chevron shape (all bombers, of course) and extreme and futuristic stealth fighters with faceted shapes like the F-117.
At an intermediate size, it could be a boring ECM platform or small bomber, but it's too large to be a fighter;

Hmm, I guess there are some things I should look into then.

13 hours ago, LorenzoGatti said:

maybe you should design weapons too.

I should post some underside renders as well, since the underside of the model actually has some weapons bays.

Well, I will definitely put a quick mock up of a smaller wingspan soon (once I get a chance)!

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement
14 hours ago, LorenzoGatti said:

I think this design falls in the gap of relative ugliness between large and elegant flying wing designs with an iconic chevron shape (all bombers, of course) and extreme and futuristic stealth fighters with faceted shapes like the F-117.

Really F-117 have higher speed then Ho-229, but it still subsonic. Then higher speed than higher wing sweep angle required. For example MiGs has increased sweept angle on MiG-19 up to 55 degrees to have stable flight at M>1. To cross a M=2 MiG-21 has a delta wing becouse it was technically imposible to increase sweept angle of usual wing any more. Next type MiG-23 has a variable wing sweep angle in range from 16 up to 72 degrees to have a high max speed and good sustainability and increased lift force on low speed. And only on MiG-29 has been found flat fuselage scheme where fuselage with big sweep angle front edge generates huge lift force on high speed and wing with less swept angle generates enought lift force on low speed. Similar schemes used on F-16, F-18 and many other fighters including 5th generation.  Next perspective scheme is scheme with forward sweept angle, but it require matherials with higher ridgidity then matherials available now.

About faced shapes - it required for stealth technology implemetation.

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

3 hours ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

F-117

Worth noting that the F-117 is also a bomber, despite it's fighter designation. They don't really have air-to-air capability, and were mostly used to bomb targets protected by radar installations.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

3 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

Worth noting that the F-117 is also a bomber, despite it's fighter designation

Anycase it have a high subsonic max speed. So have to have 45+ degrees sweept angle to avoid uncontrolled power dive effect on top speed.

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

13 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

I didn't know that...for some reason I thought it was a fighter.

Well, it had jet engines. Back then that was enough to be useful as a fighter :) 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement