🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RTS design techniques?

Started by
39 comments, last by Ciaphas 5 years, 9 months ago
7 minutes ago, Glenos said:

Sorry to hear about the RTS that is now on the back-burner. I think there's not enough demand for RTS's at the moment plus it being a very hard to please genre. I know I still have an itch that hasn't been scratched yet by a developer.

Having forced myself to scale down scope to within reason, I'm currently working on the next closest thing: a squad-based Diablo clone.  Due to the dearth of good hack&slash games, I'm scratching my own itch as well.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

Advertisement
24 minutes ago, Lendrigan Games said:

Having forced myself to scale down scope to within reason, I'm currently working on the next closest thing: a squad-based Diablo clone.  Due to the dearth of good hack&slash games, I'm scratching my own itch as well.

Well I hope all goes well for you, Good luck :) Plus if you need any feedback with something give me a look :)

57 minutes ago, Glenos said:

Sorry to hear about the RTS that is now on the back-burner. I think there's not enough demand for RTS's at the moment plus it being a very hard to please genre.

There have been studios that failed trying to make the next best RTS game. Some games have done well by changing the formula to better suit more casual players.

My stance is that the genre has evolved into MOBA, where instead of controlling every aspect of the battle, the player controls just a powerful hero. This tells us that there is still life in RTS but the limitations have to do with antiquated interface design. By simplifying the game so that anyone can effectively control the deciding actions in a battle, it became a huge success. 

I believe the future of RTS goes to whoever brings base building, army composition and resource gathering to MOBA.

We will never freeze.

17 hours ago, Unknown33 said:

There have been studios that failed trying to make the next best RTS game. Some games have done well by changing the formula to better suit more casual players.

My stance is that the genre has evolved into MOBA, where instead of controlling every aspect of the battle, the player controls just a powerful hero. This tells us that there is still life in RTS but the limitations have to do with antiquated interface design. By simplifying the game so that anyone can effectively control the deciding actions in a battle, it became a huge success. 

I believe the future of RTS goes to whoever brings base building, army composition and resource gathering to MOBA.

Thing is as a MOBA wouldn't it loose some of the core mechanics such as base building and unit creation? which are some of the things I enjoy in an RTS. Though I have never played a MOBA. Maybe your right and its the path that the RTS genre should head. I just hope that the genre doesnt die. I mean mobile games are taking over with tower defense. I said to a close friend when I can play a strategy game on my phone ill be impressed, he said "havent you heard of clash of clans". I think i died inside when he said that. dont get me wrong i enjoy clash of clans but im hoping for more AOE or C&C on mobile :D

5 hours ago, Glenos said:

Thing is as a MOBA wouldn't it loose some of the core mechanics such as base building and unit creation? which are some of the things I enjoy in an RTS. Though I have never played a MOBA. Maybe your right and its the path that the RTS genre should head. I just hope that the genre doesnt die. I mean mobile games are taking over with tower defense. I said to a close friend when I can play a strategy game on my phone ill be impressed, he said "havent you heard of clash of clans". I think i died inside when he said that. dont get me wrong i enjoy clash of clans but im hoping for more AOE or C&C on mobile :D

I honestly hate the idea of RTS and MOBAs being merged. Dawn of War 3 attempted this and the game failed so bad that the developers ended support. This is not the path RTS games should head, and if an RTS game is merging with a MOBA I want nothing to do with that title as do many other RTS fans.

When you merge these two different genres, you're not maintaining a true RTS at heart in the concept, therefor it's not proper to even call the game a RTS based on the core mechanics you see in pure RTS games (Command and Conquer / StarCraft / Age of Empires 2, ect...). I simply believe it was a ploy used to bring in the MOBA fan base and mix it with the RTS fan base in order to generate more sales. The amount of DLC they could sell for hero upgrades in a game like this is insane, and there are a lot of people playing MOBAs now as opposed to pure RTS games.

The lack in overall "success" in pure RTS games is primarily because people are just not into those type of games right now. My generation grew up on RTS games, and the gamers now are playing Battle Arena type games like Fortnite, and MOBAs like LoL. My Command and Conquer is their Fornite or LoL essentially.

Programmer and 3D Artist

23 hours ago, Lendrigan Games said:

This seems backwards to me.  The average RTS feels a lot smaller to me than the average Diablo clone.  An RTS can get away with just a dozen units or so, whereas the Diablo clone needs a constant stream of new enemies in order to stay interesting.  (That said, I haven't actually created a game in either of these genres, so I could be totally wrong about their relative scale.)

13 minutes ago, a light breeze said:

This seems backwards to me.  The average RTS feels a lot smaller to me than the average Diablo clone.

RTS: Army v Army
Diablo: Person v Army
That's why I see it as scaling down.

Is currently working on a rpg/roguelike
Dungeons Under Gannar
Devblog

3 hours ago, Rutin said:

When you merge these two different genres, you're not maintaining a true RTS at heart in the concept, therefor it's not proper to even call the game a RTS based on the core mechanics you see in pure RTS games (Command and Conquer / StarCraft / Age of Empires 2, ect...). I simply believe it was a ploy used to bring in the MOBA fan base and mix it with the RTS fan base in order to generate more sales

I feel like you are glossing over some history there, in the interests of making your point :) 

WarCraft III introduced Hero units to RTS a while before MOBAs came along (given that they started out as a WarCraft III custom map, and all). Pretty sure the entirely of the early MOBA audience was formed by draining people away from the RTS that spawned them...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

If you think actionrpgs/ diablo is dead- look up path of exile, it's as about cutting edge as it gets and is what I play. 

As far as rts studies go, you need to look at company of heroes 1/2. Starcraft is a requirement and so is age of empires 2. Empire earth has some good entries as well. Total annihilation is a must and it's successor supreme commander 1.    

Newer games I'm aware of tho didn't try and I don't believe they were wild successes are singularity and grey goo.o

as far a short a game you could actually have a chance at making, look at Warcraft 1!

2 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

I feel like you are glossing over some history there, in the interests of making your point :) 

WarCraft III introduced Hero units to RTS a while before MOBAs came along (given that they started out as a WarCraft III custom map, and all). Pretty sure the entirely of the early MOBA audience was formed by draining people away from the RTS that spawned them...

I'm not glossing over history because I don't put Warcraft 3 in the same spot as Age of Empires 2 or even Warcraft 2 in terms of RTS games. My point was that when you merge anything else and create a hybrid it's no longer what I call a pure RTS due to the element changes.

I always looked at Warcraft 3 as not a pure RTS, but a hybrid due to the RPG elements from the hero, abilities, leveling, and item based system. WC3 was truly a great strategy game I don't consider it a pure form of RTS like we had seen prior in Warcraft 1 or even 2.

This is my personal opinion as I still prefer the RTS games from the 90's and early 2000's. I was never a fan of RTS / MOBA hybrids and never will be. I didn't mind WC3 as it added something new and interesting. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement