🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How would you: The latest update in your game has the user base furious...

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 9 months ago

I've been in this situation a few times myself.  In a live game environment these things can happen and will happen.

I'm curious to hear your stories; how did you work through the problem internally, what was the response to the community, and the final remediation (if there was any). 

A few topics that come to mind:
- You've released an update that breaks the game and people are disconnecting from the game, losing time
- A balance change has been made which negatively impacts the economy (users complain its a cash grab)
- Updates are made to the game and patch notes do not reflect some of these changes
- Your situation isn't on this list?  Tell me more. 

Advertisement
2 hours ago, OptimusCrime said:

- You've released an update that breaks the game and people are disconnecting from the game, losing time

Roll back to a previous release, inform the community of the setback.

- A balance change has been made which negatively impacts the economy (user complain its a cash grab)

This one is a pain, the game needs money and people who complain the most are the ones unwilling to spend money on development; in other words the least valuable customers.

At this point I would ask the community why it feels like a cash grab. Often I find that the problem has some kind of minor oversight that is easy to fix. Often if players who are unwilling to pay, will be happy if there is no reminder that the game has some kind of transaction.

- Updates are made to the game and patch notes do not reflect some of these changes

Update the documents quickly, highlighting the notes players are complaining about. Remind the players that you are only human and that these oversights happen.

- Your situation isn't on this list?  Tell me more. 

A bad one I experienced: A Update changes the stale game play, forcing players to use new strategies.

Regardless of what players say, they don't really want the game to change. They are happy with new versions of old things and small twists; but any dramatic change upsets them.

Especially the players at the top, who suddenly looses that position because of a new game play element, they will love to tell you how "broken" the game is now.

For me this resolved itself. The players at the top who lost that position left the game, I panicked because they are the best paying ones ,in the end they where just replaced by new players who where drawn in by the large update.

Even so, the game was never at the same height after that, now I slowly introduce new concepts over a large time span. Visual updates can be large, players like that; when things look new but nothing really changed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement