🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Composed for horror VR title

Started by
1 comment, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys! Check out the new environmental trailer for Reiko's Fragments, a new horror VR title. I am currently the composer on the project and would love to hear what you guys think!

Advertisement

Hey, 

Thanks for sharing! 

Right off the bat - check your overall volume level. I had to crank my headphones quite a bit to get a decent listening experience. 

I liked how the music evolved and your overall pacing used. The door SFX at 1:22 feels very random and out of place. It sticks out and doesn't serve much purpose because so many of the other shots had very limited or no sound design at all. Trailers like this are hard because there's not a lot of action so how do you hook the viewer? I wish there was a bigger moment at the title end slate. Consider what the trailer is supposed to do - generate buzz and excitement about the project. You want people to remember the name of your game. At that moment in the trailer - the music is fading out and the transition visually to the title slate is just a cross fade. I like that you have the music do a swell at the title slate but I would've pushed the envelope a bit more. Add a cymbal scrape, maybe some more sound design. Make it stand out more. 

Also what is your main melody? Is it the strings at 0:56? If so, I'd restate that melody, even in a fragmented way later at the end slate. Something to drive home what the sonic identity of this game is because right now it's just a mood. It's a good mood! But, again, from the stance of marketing and branding, there could be more done to make your game (and it's audio) stand out. 

Some beautiful environments! You've got a great start!  

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement